Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pollen in a one pound bag and will treat, inspect and feed my bees in the am! How do I feed the pollen? It is more of granular --than powder form. I have top hive feeders. When can I exchange/switch the top & bottom supers? Thanks Debbie

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I assume it's real pollen. It comes in little pellets (that the bees that gathered it made). If you put them in the hive they will get hauled out as garbage. If you put them in an external feeder the wax moths will lay in them and they'll get full of wax moth larvae, but if the bees take it quick enough it won't.

If you want to put it in the hive, I'd mix it with honey until it's a thick paste and spread it on waxed paper and put that on the top bars of the brood nest.

But I usually don't feed pollen unless I feel there is a critical shortage. Of course I usually decide this based on the bees in the chicken feed rolling in the grain dust and collecting the grain dust.

You may not have this available. But putting some soy flour out in some kind of feeder might give you an indication that they are desperate for pollen, because they wouldn't be gathering soy flour if there was real pollen around.

One way to make a feeder is put a bottom board on something high enough to keep the mice out and put the pollen on the board and put a box and a lid over that.

·
Registered
970 Posts
put the pollen in food processor (dry pollen). Add honey or syrup to make a stiff patty place on colony within reach of cluster just like using pollen substitute.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never fed pollen or pollen-sub so I wasn't sure how to get them to take it. How large of a 'patty' should I make --and how long will it last without the wax moths "jumping" ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
5TR-Apiary,
I'm in the Raleigh area and my bees are already bringing in lots of pollen (probably red maple). Since you are a little south of me, I'd guess your bees have enough real pollen in the env. I tried feeding substitute a couple of years ago and it turned out be be a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply! I have yet to get into my hives to inspect them! I was hoping to do that today but with the rain and cold maybe the first of next week!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts