Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hobbyist beek here, wondering if there is a best time(s) of year to collect pollen on the hive in Florida. I'm west central.

The intent is to have a little bit for home consumption, some to have one hand to feed to the bees, and if all goes well some to sell. Selling is not a priority, however.

I was going to toss the pollen trap on today, but after watching- they weren't bringing in much...and not much brood right now, so didn't want to mess anything up.

Figured I'd wait and post here to see what the thought were. We get a pretty strong brazillian pepper flow Sept/Oct. Should I wait till the flow?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Try the pepper pollen in small doses before you dive in! Many, many folks are allergic to B. Pepper, especially the sap, but also the pollen. :D

BTW; we've had a really long Cabbage Palm bloom this year; they're still blooming and the bees are still bringing in tons of pollen. If I were a pollen trapper I'd have my traps on right now!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
worried about low brood production in my main hive at the moment, I didn't want to do anything to disrupt. Still experiencing the first year learning curve...down to one hive, on recently hived NUC (currently 2.5 frames, and one cutout from last week...not much room for error, LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts