Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this term mean? I have two deep boxes with brood and a deep super on one of the hives but the bees are storing soo much pollen in the brood nest that the queen is finding it hard to find places to lay. At first I was excited to see the bees with soo much pollen but they have sooo much pollen right now (about 3 full frames worth!!)

Is there anyway to get the bees to store the pollen in the honey super? I placed some frames of pollen and nectar in the honey super but they are reluctant to build out comb on the other frames in the honey super and keep storing in the brood area.

THanks,
Brian

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
They will not store pollen in the honey supers. Pollen is for feeding brood and that's why it's in the brood chamber. If you think the queen needs somwhere to lay, try adding another box to the brood chamber or pull some frames of honey out of the brood chamber and put in drawn comb (preferable) or foundation (second best). Don't take it all. Just a couple of frames will open things up a lot. They need the honey and the pollen to feed the brood. Having more brood that is starving or getting chilled is not an improvement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts