• Other

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Foundationless

Votes: 32 20.4%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i have plasticell and fouondation both. My Nucs were deeps this year and I added plastic and foundation to both. Melted some wax and added to the plasticell, and just put in the foundation and they took off like banshees with the foundation.....havent touched the plasticell again. have had frame 1 in my deep not drawn out for well over a year. Even rotated it in and they still wouldnt touch it.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is my first year but I've got about 4 hives from packages. I've started 6 frames with plastic/waxed and have 4 foundationless frames per box. I had no drawn comb to start out with at all this year. I'm too cheap to go buy the drone foundation and like to stretch out the plastic foundation (and my pennies). I've been making sure that all foundationless frames have a frame with plastic foundation on either side. System seems to be going pretty good so far. Even though I've put a guide on the foundationless frames, I think bees will be bees, and don't fully trust them to do the foundationless without further putting the waxed plastic foundation frames on either side. Those frames are theirs to be creative with, be it drone or whatever, but I'm hoping they'll confine it to those frames. (All Mediums)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Have been using waxed pierco in all new hives and am phasing out old comb (wood with foundation) with new pierco as the budget permits. The advantages are good acceptance, no breakage, easier to scrape tops and bottoms, and cheap.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I may have messed up my vote....
I voted "other" because of how much I have of both waxed plastic and wax foundation. They are so innermixed that I couldn't tell you the percentages. Haven't seen them take to any one more or less than the other.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Waxed plastic in my 2 hives. My starter kit came with them by default and I heard they survive better in an extractor. Started with package bees a few weeks ago and the bees are drawing them out no problem. In the past I always used wired wax foundation. I do want to try a couple foundationless frames just to see what I get.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My bees are foundationless. I started with plastic and switched to a mix of wax foundation and foundationless because I had some frames with wax foundation and little drawn comb. My bees draw out foundationless and mostly ignore the other frames even when they are out of room. They will draw out a frame with foundation about 1/3 of the way but will never fill it. It was fairly annoying until I took out the foundation and put guides in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My first time as a beekeeper: I'm using plastic waxed foundation. We were given options in class and I chose to use the plastic waxed. Seemed the best for me.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am a new beek just getting started this year. But, I have ten hives as of yesterday and a package coming next week. I have used both plasticell, wax, and perico. I like the perico black with a little extra wax added to the frame. I have found they will draw them out almost as fast as wax. But, they are a lot tougher and can be scaped and reused if needed.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I use some each of plastic-waxed (PF120), wax, and foundationless, but how much of each depends on many different things. I added a few of each to several hives this Spring, into their brood nests. Some have yet to build them out, but the stronger hives have done wonderfully with all three, though I'd say that the hives that built out the foundationless did the better job, nice solid combs from top-bar guide almost to bottom bar and all nearly solid with small-cell worker brood. The stronger hives also did good jobs with PF120, plastic-waxed and just starter strips of beeswax foundation, but full sheets of beeswax, even though I only use medium depth frames, always seem to buckle, starting about an inch up from the bottom bars, making one side, near the bottom of the comb, unusable. This distortion was more pronounced in deep frames, though foundationless deep frames have produced some outstanding combs of nearly completely small-cell worker comb, some with and some without horizontal wires.

I am fascinated to watch the bees build their comb in foundationless frames, especially when there are horizontal wires crossing the empty space I've seen, more than a few times some of their starting points to be somewhere on one or another of the wires. It is amazing in several ways, especially how they can sometimes integrate several comb starting points, seamlessly into one solid comb, filling or nearly filling the entire frame.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use wood frame and yellow plasticell waxed foundation. The plasticell doesn't give me any problems where the pierco does. I use the wood frame because it is more durable than the all plastic frames. When a frame ear breaks it is much easier to fix than on a plastic frame.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I use W.T. Kelley wooden frames with waxed Pierco foundations. Introduced on a good nectar flow the bees draw comb accurately and fast. I prefer to place the foundations in a second story between two frames of brood.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dislike coated plastic. My little bit of experience is that my bees prefer wired wax. Draw it out nice. I have some duragilt I started with that is drawn on one side and just plastic on the other. The one drawback of wax is can come apart in the extractor,if you dont cross wire it. Peace Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts