Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When temperatures raise above the recommended 85 degrees for FormicPro, what do you guys do?

1. Increase ventilation in the hive (broodbox setback, add spacer between outer cover and top box, etc...)
  2. Remove FormicPro strips (this is what the MiteAway recommended back in the day)
  3. Leave as is, hope for the best
Assume a "heat wave" later in the treatment window, ~1 week in (FormicPro instructions say that the first 3 days are most critical temperature compliance). I assume that any self-respecting beekeeper would check the forecasted temperatures before application. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
As you said, the first three days are the most critical. The dosage really tapers off after a week and temperature is less of a concern. If its a small heat wave, probably not necessary to remove things if you are far along in the treatment. Increased ventilation is always good, but make sure that the front entrance is completely open and unobstructed as that is the most important. I would go with option 1 or 3 in your case.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Assume you've read this.From NOD FAQs

"Healthy Bees. Outside daytime highs should be between 50 - 85°F on day of application. Hot temperatures (≥92°F during the first 3 days) may lead to excessive bee, brood and queen loss. "

I would also consider shading without blocking ventilation.Solar gain could easily raise the hive temp above the air temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts