Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, I know that this forum is dedicated to serious questions and 'doesn't necessarily fit any of the other beekeeping forums' , but sometimes we need a litle break from the genetics and similar posts.

During a heavy nectar & pollen flow like we're now experiencing, & the bees are comming & going to & from the hive at close to 30 mph, what percentage of your bees do you think are lost due to head-on collisions? Are they like Bats? They're not wearing seatbelts, nor have air bags. Has anyone seen (& documented) a mid-air collision?:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably no air bag deployment, altho I guess there were substantial pollen bag deployments.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could survive a fly by if there was a doo-by (it's amazing how fast birds digest).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've got bees in a good flow right now, with 100 or 200 colonies in a yard. For the next several days I will go lie on my back and observe the flight for at least four hours hours each day. Between naps. Then I will report back my observations and data on how much damage is actually occurring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got bees in a good flow right now, with 100 or 200 colonies in a yard. For the next several days I will go lie on my back and observe the flight for at least four hours hours each day. Between naps. Then I will report back my observations and data on how much damage is actually occurring.
Tom, make sure you're not dozing with your mouth open. Not all of those guys in the air are bringing in nectar. Some are going the other way for another purpose.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kidding aside (sort of), if bees can't avoid a random rain drop... After all they are only concentrated on a space of only 16" +/- by 1/2" max (less acceleration/deceleration) - it could get ugly

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A flight controller's nightmare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts