Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on moving my empty hives outdoors soon in preparation for the bees arrival.... My 'best' location is under a pole light, roughly the height and almost as bright as a standard streetlight. Does anyone think this would be a problem having light all night above the bees? I like the security of the light but don't want to confuse the bees.

Also.... Does anyone think there would be an issue with putting the empty hives outside a month or so early? I have metal mouse guards, but I don't know if wax moths would move into an unattended hive. I suppose I run the 'risk' of a swarm entering the hives, but that would only make me buy more equipment for the bees I have ordered.

Larry

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't believe wax moths would be interested in foundation. Still too cold at night for them aroung here. Let the hives air out a bit from the paint & glue.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heard a guy say the other day that he had moved some hives to an area that had a night light. He said it was the only apiary that he did not have any problems with wax moths. Claimed it was because the moths are attracted to the light, rather than the hives. Doesn't sound plausible, as I would think the moths would be attracted to the dark hives more than the light. But perhaps they fly up toward the light and a bat gets them. If you put your hives there and find that the moths don't bother them, it would be nice to know. Especially if you have beeks in your area that are having problems with moths.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts