Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone check bees after the -20 degree temps end of janurary yet? I am nervous to check mine. What is a good temp to wait for to pop the top and look inside?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Checked mine when we had that warm up a week or so ago temps got in the 50's and alot of bee's were flying and getting a good cleansing flight , the snow all around the hives was a yellow brown color , I also put more sugar bricks on while it was warm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm west of you in Iowa where we also had -20. All 5 of my hives are alive and well. I checked during the 50 degree days. Added sugar and winter patties to top them off, but they still had some.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Nothing to be gained by checking unless you are prepared to add sugar bricks to keep them form starving. It was -25 here and I will be opening to put on pollen patties in a week irregardless of the weather. My wraps are designed to be opened and closed in seconds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and check today. Didnt open just checked entrances, knocked on sides heard a buzz in two of four. Seen activity at 2 or the hives cleansing flights. Looks like some mouse activity too. ☹☹☹ Hope they didnt get in. I have mouse guards and there is no where for them to get in i hope. Think there are in the hive Cousy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the active one was a swam i caught in late August. I didnt think that would survive, although they had a full super. They took in 6 gallons of fall syrup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts