Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on how the polar vortex might affect SHB viability? Here in Northern Indiana we have had -15 degree temps for two days. My hives have insulation boxes around them to protect from the -40-degree windchill. I am mainly curiously about SHB not overwintering in the hive. Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was wondering this very question earlier this morning as I was thawing a water pipe in my mud room.....

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
They curl up tighter in the cluster of bees. SHB are now to burrow 6 feet so most in the ground will be okay. but worse the adults are warm and cozy in any living hive.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Those suckers are tough, they hang right in there with the cluster of bees, my deadouts lately had shb on the bottom board mixed right in with the dead bees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, AmericasBeekeeper. I should have done a proper introduction first and posted this elsewhere. I'll do that now. I'm just learning to navigate around!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW - can't wait to meet you in person at the Kalamazoo Bee School. I have your book The Practical Beekeeper and enjoyed it immensely. Last year was my first year as a beekeeper, but towards the end of the summer I got brave and started letting my bees draw their own comb on frames as you described. It was very fun to watch. I hope both hives make it through the winter. I want to try raising some queens!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts