Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make your plywood Nuc's? Do you have the landing ramp on it like a normal hive.?

So I am making some Nuc's out of plywood. So I make the sides 19 1/4 inches long and the ends 8 1/2 so when they nail up I get 7.5 which holds 5 frames. It sits 10 1/4 high then I nail on a bottom board. Drill a 5/8 in hole in the front and make a lid with a top 8.5 inches wide with 1x2's on the ends.

So my question is: Is it better for them to have a landing ramp?

I was also thinking of drilling some holes in the bottom corners and screening it. So this way there is some ventilation and a way for water to get out if the top leaks. I could make a SBB type system but, I am not sure I Nuc needs that.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I make the bottom about two inches longer then the nuc body. And fasten two strips ¾ inches thick to keep the entire nuc off the ground. The landing board area keeps them off the ground as well and gives the guard bees an area to work, and helps any virgin queens find the entrance easier after mating flights.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My openings are 1/2" tall and 2" wide.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
This what I build except it was only 3 frame (basicly cut in half).
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/double-3-frame-brood-hive-usda/

I like this, but I used .5 inch plywood on the sides of mine.

I though I wanted a 3 framer for nuc production/queen rearing, but I am leaning towards all 5 frame nucs. I put 3 frames of bees/feed/brood, and then add foundation on both sides. That way I am making more drawn comb. As always, I FEED, FEED, FEED.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I made most of my nucs by cutting the end boards in half on my band saw (losing the least amount of material to the kerf), then assembling the two half ends onto one side board, then attaching another side board on the opposite outside. This provides a nuc that has almost exactly half the inside width of a 10-frame super, minus the approximately 1/16" band saw kerf. Recently, I've switched to using 15/32" thick plywood to make the ends, sides, and cleats of my nucs (thank you - D Coates).

I use 1-1/4" thick styrofoam insulation board for bottom boards (this thickness nicely supports the weight of the nucs). I use 3/4" thick styrofoam insulation board for covers (sliding one end back to form the entrance).

·
Registered
376 Posts
So does it matter if its 3/4" or 1/2" plywood in making these? And how did they turn out for you?

In my area there's a big price difference between the 1/2 inch plywood, that's actually closer to 7/16. I'm forced to use this because of the price difference and wondered if others had done this and if they were able to achieve some form of longevity of hive boxes, and nuc bodies through it?

I hope someone can post on this.

And I wasn't sure if it was OK to post that as a reply to this or repost as another thread.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
If you want to build nucs inexpensively, use Advantech sub flooring, available at Lowes for about $34 per sheet. If you lay it out right, you can get 9 five-frame deep boxes or 11-1/2 medium boxes per sheet. Plywood does not hold up all that well and is a waste of money in my opinion.

Reactions: ankklackning
1 - 14 of 14 Posts