Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our weather is finally going to be decent - and extended enough - to set out fruit trees, so I plan to spend tomoorow morning getting 4 new plum trees into the ground. I have two older trees already, but with the addition of 3 hives, I figured that a few more might be in order.

If I put in anything else, what would y'all suggest?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if the bees like plums, but I set one out about 4 years ago and to date I've had 1 plum. Loads of flowers. 1st year beek.

Do I need another tree.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Probably. Most plums that I'm familiar with need a pollinator/partner. Do you know what kind of plum it is? If so, it should be simple enough to find it's partner tree; if not, just get a couple of properly paired trees (forgive the unintended pun, please :eek:) and set them out. My understanding is that bees like plum trees...and so do I!

·
Registered
224 Posts
We set out an apple and 2 cherries last year. One of the cherries ddin't make it so this year we need to replace it. Haven't decided if we will go with another cherry or something else. I am excited to see the bees work them!

Also- we have had had a few days of upper 30's and lower 40's lately. The pussy willow looks like it is preparing to blossom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some beek's over here in california pollinate the plums and get good money to same as almonds.:D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do I need another tree.
Most likely, yes. If you're not sure what kind of plum you already have, plant either a Methley or a Santa Rosa as they will pollinate just about any other plum. The Methleys are a little better eating than the Santa Rosa.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got 2 Methleys and 2 Santa Rosas in the ground yesterday....my 94 year-old Pop had so much fun "helping" that I now have 4 apple trees, 6 blackberry plants and 2 more rabbiteye blueberry plants sitting in the bed of my truck (along with a huge pile of "scored" stuff from the dollar bin at Lowe's). I guess Monday will be a long day!! Glad I have a bottle of Aleve in the glove-box. :)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We have a very old purple meat plum tree. Its in bloom right now The bees don't work it very much, but its always loaded with fruit.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
You might try some peach trees too. I have plums and peaches, and they all get worked heavily by the bees.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plums have been in the ground for a week or so now ... tomorrow, the County Forestry office is having their annual tree & shrub sale, so it looks like there will be some cherry trees in my future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Santa Rosa plum trees are adaptable to most soil types and are self-fertile… cross pollination is not necessary, but will increase fruit production when a second plum tree is planted nearby.

markmaster I got a Santa Rosa tree at the tree sale last weekend i guess you were there, it was kind of crazy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Santa Rosa plum trees are adaptable to most soil types and are self-fertile… cross pollination is not necessary, but will increase fruit production when a second plum tree is planted nearby.

markmaster I got a Santa Rosa tree at the tree sale last weekend i guess you were there, it was kind of crazy.
It was busier than I had expected -- glad I decided to get there early! Even so, by the time I picked out my fruit trees, the spirea - which is what I actually went there to get - was gone. The Soil & Water Conservation folks should have made some good money at that sale....I hope so, anyway!

Did you and I meet at the sale? I talked with a beek at the sale about Russians vs 3-banded Italians for a while...got his email address, but have been so busy at school that I haven't had time to contact him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like I'm getting another plum tree. I already have apples, peaches, pecans, and the Bradford pears, were here when I moved in.

Thanks folks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts