Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!

My plum tree is 24' away from my hive. It's blooming for 2 days now.
I don't see any of my bees there. They're working as usually foraging, bringing in pollen and what not. But not a single bee on my plum! Some other insects, but no bees.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just to be contrarian... :) I saw bees on my plums when they were in bloom, but didn't see them on my apples.

Sometimes the bees like something else farther away, and just because a bloom is close does not mean that they will choose it. I saw my bees fly out if their hives, fly right past my apples in full bloom, on to something else. That was this year. Two years ago, there were enough bees on my apple to pick up the dang tree and carry it off, r so it seemed. But I didn't see them on the plum. When is important, too. A lot of times we are not looking at the right time of day, either. Some blooms have more nectar and/or pollen early in the day, some are better later in the day.

And just to be contrarian again ); last night I watched bees fly out of the hives and right over to a patch of alium just 15' away. Enough bees on those to hear them buzzing, and I'm 1/2 deaf.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Noticed the same thing -- 5 plum trees no more than 20 feet away and rarely a bee on them. They tend to bloom in late march and early April. Must be something better to forage on or the flowers/nectar on the plum trees are too difficult for the bees to access. Glad to know that others have observed the same thing.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
We have black locust blooming like mad. But looking for our bees on it, we have been seeing one or two checking blossoms and flying away.

Bees see and smell things we don't. They know things about flowers a Master Gardener doesn't learn in half a century of gardening. UV cues, especially. We suspect, on any given day, there's a sweet time in which the blossoms are productive and open. And there are probably just a few trees that are really at peak. The honey bee recruiting strategy means they will probably put most of their effort on those few trees, leaving us ignorant humans staring at trees that obviously are not good pickings.

That said, ours rarely work our single feeble plum (it does attract small native bees). They fly half a mile to the neighbor's larger apple and pear trees. Or so we're told by our delighted neighbors, who never got fruit from those trees until we got bees.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting info. I was wondering why after feeding sugar water 20ft away from a feral hive in a tree they ignored it and haven't seen them in my yard of nice flowers and a bunch of dandelions. But watched them swarm yesterday. So they have to be getting enough food.

I didn't catch the swarm in my trap even though the Scouts were checking it out last week. Which was the 1st day I saw any bee out and about this year. The feral tree is 20ft from my back door.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
nice to hear BL is hitting to my south. hopefully should be soon for me. last year was a bust!
No telling what it will do elsewhere. We live in VA and have seen plenty of black locust blooming, but our apiary is in Grant Co. WV at 1800 ft. We have had the property for 30 years and do not ever recall seeing more than a handful of black locust blooming there. This year it is blooming in abundance, and people in the surrounding area say it is the heaviest they have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The black raspberries are about done blooming and will have berries in about 4 weeks. The bees have been all over them.
My bees work the cherry and apple trees but the only thing they find useful about our pear trees is the swarms tend to land in them.
20170514_135800.jpg 20170514_135901.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Black Locust blooming like crazy here in Central OH. Was walking dog with my wife by an orchard about 300 yds away - I asked my wife "Do you hear that buzzing?" I thought a swarm might be nearby... Nope bees working the BL like mad.

I never know why they're working this instead of that.

Regards,
Wally

1 - 12 of 12 Posts