Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE! If you are a 2 or 3 year beekeeper who is religious militant of the treatment free cult or not....STOP giving advice to new beekeepers like you have 50 years experience. Just because you read Michael Bush's or Randy Oliver's website, does not give you the right or knowledge to impersonate or give information, without disclaimer (example: hey, I've only been doing this for 3 years, but this is what I do) leading new beekeepers into failure while driving experienced beekeepers into the shadows due to the frustration of dealing with your ego and insatiable desire to be recognized. Also don't start a beekeeping instructional youtube page with your brand new, bleach snow white bee suit and your 6 shiny, freshly painted hives in your back yard and preach to me how your treatment free "survivor stock" is far superior to anything out there. Catching swarms and putting them in a box and using theories from 5th grade science class on Darwinism does NOT make you a pioneer in the hobby or industry, you are barely B.S.ing your way through the video while making a fool out of yourself.......I think I covered it all....if not, insert a run on sentence rant of your own below.

P.S. Nothing against treatment free beekeepers with more than 2 - 3 years who understand how to create queens of exceptional stock and not just shake a swarm off a branch and call them "survivor stock"

·
Registered
74 Posts
You Rock! a lot of BIG HEADS pop up here, got to the filter the good Bee keeps from the bad. Its hard for a new bee to see through B.S.

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
Beekeeping, like real estates, is location specific. What works for me might not work for you because of the many
environmental condition differences. The bee strain is also different from theirs. The new beekeepers should use precaution and common sense in discerning these
advice and methods from the many posts. They need to do their research also to see if treatment is necessary or not.
They are the one that have to make the last minute decision for their bee situation and not us. New beekeepers are smart people here.
They will ask you many questions in private to find out. They like us, want to know the latest methods and information for them to keep better
bees. Though not related to treatment, here are the many questions I got ongoing from many:
Where are you?
How long have you been raising queens?
So how may queens did you get this year?
So when do you start your year there?
Did you have more than 1 breeder queen?
Do you use mini mating nucs?
How may hives do you have now?
Have you started selling them to others close by or shipping them?
Did you meet your goals for the year?

·
Registered
590 Posts
PLEASE! If you are a 2 or 3 year beekeeper who is religious militant of the treatment free cult or not....STOP giving advice to new beekeepers like you have 50 years experience. Just because you read Michael Bush's or Randy Oliver's website, does not give you the right or knowledge to impersonate or give information, without disclaimer (example: hey, I've only been doing this for 3 years, but this is what I do) leading new beekeepers into failure while driving experienced beekeepers into the shadows due to the frustration of dealing with your ego and insatiable desire to be recognized. Also don't start a beekeeping instructional youtube page with your brand new, bleach snow white bee suit and your 6 shiny, freshly painted hives in your back yard and preach to me how your treatment free "survivor stock" is far superior to anything out there. Catching swarms and putting them in a box and using theories from 5th grade science class on Darwinism does NOT make you a pioneer in the hobby or industry, you are barely B.S.ing your way through the video while making a fool out of yourself.......I think I covered it all....if not, insert a run on sentence rant of your own below.

P.S. Nothing against treatment free beekeepers with more than 2 - 3 years who understand how to create queens of exceptional stock and not just shake a swarm off a branch and call them "survivor stock"

Took me three years, many dollars, & a bunch of bees to figure out that there is a lot of bad advise floating around.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you dingo983!

I am a first year beekeeper from Fargo, North Dakota, that started getting the bee-bug about two years ago over Christmas vacation. I ran across some German beekeeping videos using the old woven skeps and old honey harvesting methods, and it was facinating. I decided to explore the subject, and bought two respected books which were read cover to cover and then repeated. I watched several hundred hours worth of youtube vieos, many hours of which displayed conduct that seemed to fly-in-the-face of the recognized experts and common sense! I did not feel I knew enough to make the decision so I tried to get into the University of Minnesota's 2013 first year beekeeper course, but it was full. I decided the timing was not yet appropriate to order a package for 2013, so I decided to keep on reading and watching until the March, 2014, classes -- bee-sides, I had to tell my wife my plans, and also ask if the backyard was available! I am a lawyer, so I had already made sure it was legal. The short story is my wife was amused, but the backyard is reserved for others. A client made some land available, and two packages developed into two (2) hives with each consisting of three (3) deeps of 8-frames and a single medium filled with honey. I also harvested a total130 pounds of honey from both hives in September, and I started two (2) walk-a-way splits that requeened themselves; I hope to over-winter the NUCS above one of the larger hives separated by a double-screened bottom board, with the U of Minnesota suggested over-winter techniques - fully wrapped, with top-ventilation auger hole, reduced bottom entrances, buildrite insulation, and plenty of honey. Each big hive now has 100-120 pounds of honey, and the NUCS are being fed.

This is my method of doing the first visit by a new subscriber, but I have read the discussion threads for a couple of years, and several others.

Dingo983's comments are right-on! It became clear that many people are very quick to give advice, but lack the experience to say the results will be the same for each of many years under the same general circumstances.

The first time I witnessd a major orientation flight, I was afraid I was witnessing a swarm. Thankfully, the experienced beekeepers have described the event in the books and on these forums, so my research was able to calm my initial fears. When reading one thread, I quickly discarded the beekeeper that was honest enough to say he did not know what was happening when a large group of bees seemed to be hovering around the front of the hive - in a frenzy, but was still capable of providing an answer, or hazard a guess! No thank you, I would rather hear from someone who has experienced the event, or knows by way of an educational process - the world is too full of guess, conjecture and surmise.

Thank you dingo983, and all the others like you willing to show us a way to be better bee-guardians.

To all of the experiencd beekeepers out there -- bear with us! We want to learn, and perhaps we should read some of the old threads and books before we ask some of the same old questions. I know we should learn not to give advice until we know what we are taking about.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
We see the occasional newbie proselytizing their newly-adopted dogma with such zeal, that even with the obvious misinformation, it is refreshing to see. Enthusiasm should be encouraged though misinformation (not differing opinions,) need correction. I sometimes get a bit impatient with this type, but I'm working on it

Then there is the newbie that arrived on the scene with no experience and an almost pathological need to be the expert in all things beekeeping as well as everything else. (our resident Professor Irwin Corey.) This type posts yet doesn't feel a need to listen or learn. Nothing of value to say and thousands of posts to say it.

There is always the ignore function and I've put it to use twice. Once for a know-it-all and one for a racist.

Wayne

·
Registered
574 Posts
Most bee forums I read are the same.
A newbie starts to post, gets his first colony of bees a couple of months later, racks up 2000+ posts then starts to tell everyone else how to do it.
The UK Beekeeping forum is terrible for this.
People giving advice to others on overwintering who have not yet overwintered a colony and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm a new beekeeper (2 years). I am a REALTOR for 30 years. I learned early on in my real estate career that there are people who have been in the business for 2 or 3 years that have 2 or 3 year's experience. There are others who have been in the business for 20 years and have 1 year's experience 20 times.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
One of the most frustrating aspects of being a new beekeeper is endlessly trying to sort out the good, reliable advice and ideas from the BS. Not meaning Beesource, but meaning the real organic, effluent, BS.

Enj.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also please remember that post count is not proportional to experience.
Ah, yup. OK, now that you bee-otched slapped the newbies, hope you feel better. If beeks have done their due diligence, as JTGaraas stated, they would know they have to pick and choose advise, especially taking into account the location of the poster.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
PLEASE! If you are a 2 or 3 year beekeeper who is religious militant of the treatment free cult or not....STOP giving advice to new beekeepers like you have 50 years experience. Just because you read Michael Bush's or Randy Oliver's website, does not give you the right or knowledge to impersonate or give information, without disclaimer (example: hey, I've only been doing this for 3 years, but this is what I do) leading new beekeepers into failure while driving experienced beekeepers into the shadows due to the frustration of dealing with your ego and insatiable desire to be recognized. Also don't start a beekeeping instructional youtube page with your brand new, bleach snow white bee suit and your 6 shiny, freshly painted hives in your back yard and preach to me how your treatment free "survivor stock" is far superior to anything out there. Catching swarms and putting them in a box and using theories from 5th grade science class on Darwinism does NOT make you a pioneer in the hobby or industry, you are barely B.S.ing your way through the video while making a fool out of yourself"
A
MEN

·
Registered
146 Posts
:applause: Yow! the same thing I've been thinking for the last year and a half but didn't want to ruffle feathers, ( that's easy to do now a days ) It took a while to see just how many "experienced" bee keepers with 2013-2014 join dates giving advise like there's no tomorrow, this is my first year, I'll ask for advise, I'll not give any, for I :kn: yet, maybe in 10-15 years or so.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd like to know what video op is referring to.
Does not the op sound like censorship? I personally learn and enjoy hearing from all aspects of beekeeping. That's why I'm here.

With my first hive I wanted to be as treatment free as possible (I use BT for wax moths, organic tx). I didn't know it was possible til I heard about Michael Bush practices. Our club president at the time I started beekeeping would have education sessions taken from Michael's books. The Pres did not teach TF, he chose other things from Michael's writings. But that's where I started looking into his writings further and went tf and foundation free the following year. Michael's site is how I found Beesource.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Does not the op sound like censorship?
No. No one is preventing anyone, through force or coercion, from saying what they want, posting what they want, making videos or preventing any form of communication by anyone.

Any instant-expert is free to post their vast, month-old wealth of knowledge here. Asking them to consider the possibility that their total lack of experience might suggest that they may not know their butt from a hole in the ground is not unreasonable.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
speaking of ace two yrs ago he knew nothing about bees. now he knows twice as much and giving advice. over 9000 posts must make him an expert. lol

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

I'm a beek of less than a year, and I've given my opinion on some minor questions. I do expect people to realize that I'm new and to NOT take my opinion as cold hard fact......I don't do that even with Mr. Bush's advice or Mr. Palmer's advice either.

When I first began asking questions on this forum, I was surprised at the variations in the answers received. Therefore, when I ask a question, I weigh the answers given, and then choose what I think will work for me using the common sense bestowed on me from above.

I consider beekeeping to be a continuous learning experience that can change almost daily for any number of reasons. Using one's mind is what it's all about. :banana:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Ah, yup. OK, now that you bee-otched slapped the newbies, hope you feel better. If beeks have done their due diligence, as JTGaraas stated, they would know they have to pick and choose advise, especially taking into account the location of the poster.
Say what? How did I slap the newbies?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts