Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
you have to post it somewhere else and then just put a link to it in your message. there are several places on the web you can post em for free. if you don't want to mess with that, email it to me

drobbins at drobbins dot net

I'll post it and send you a link

Dave

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, more information. this was growing beside the highway. It covered a medium sized tree. It was completely white with blooms. has been in bloom for 3 weeks. Obviously a hardy producer of nectar.

YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW NICE IT SMELLS - better than honeysuckle, better than Gardenia, a rose, you name it...my wife could not believe how nice it smelled. You basically have to wipe the nectar off your nose (pollen too) after sniffing it!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Fordguy, I posted a close up of it on the bee forum under "testing computer IQ". No one has identified it yet. I also sent it to Jim Fisher under bloom dates and he hasn't posted back either. Whatever it is, this area is covered with it. I sure hope it has nectar like you say.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Dave, He's a hundred miles or so south of us. Summer travels north about 5 miles a day. He's had it a week or so, we are just now getting the blooms. Start watching the roadsides, you'll find it in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Robbins - I pulled off the side of the road to pull that vine out of the tree, (cars zooming by) and so didn't have time to inspect for bees, but I can tell you the smell was so good if the bees don't eat it I will. The incredible number of blooms is what has me excited. I saw another one on I77 going toward Ft. Jackson this morning. So looks like we have about 4 Plants I have seen, and I am actively looking for it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
How high does it grow? If it is four to ten feet high with 3/4 inch flower it looks like Tartarian Honeysuckle. Morrows Honeysuckle and European Fly Honeysuckle. (The Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers eastern region.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts