Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 20th I found that one hive had superceeded it's queen. One queen was out on the frames and the other two were hatching as I was inspecting.

At the time 6=7 frames were drawn but when I changed out feed bag about three days later, they were up to 8 or so. I added a box.
I changed out a feed bag 4 days after that and pulled a frame just to check it quickly. I noticed maybe 3 uncapped larvae and a handful of scattered capped drone cells. I'm wondering if a worker has started laying recently. I'm not doing anything about this until I've waited a full two weeks as was suggested to let the queen go out, mate, and start laying.
Having said that, I hope she has made it out and will have started layin when I go in for a full inspection on Wednesday(going out of town on Thurs).

If I do have a laying worker, will this stop once the queen begins laying(if she makes it back)? I also noticed that my other hive finished a bag of syrup in 2 days and the hive in question hasn't even touched this latest bag. Is that indicative of anything?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
sounds like you're on the right track.
Don't bee surprised if it takes 17 days from hatch till you see eggs.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If a drone egg and the egg to make the queen are laid on the same day, the queen will hatch while the drone cells will still be capped, since it takes longer for the drones to develop.

That is most likely why you see capped drones.

Unless you are seeing multiple eggs laid on the sides of cells, and eggs on pollen, you shouldn't worry about laying workers. It usually takes a good month of not having any brood for laying workers to become a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That all makes sense. What I can't figure out is that there has veen at least one virgin queen hatched since the 20th. So why would I be seeing any eggs at all as of 4 days ago?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Maybe the virgin got mated and laying really quick.

And maybe the failing queen that is being superceded is still there, and is still laying a few eggs. It's not uncommon to have a mother and daughter queen both in a hive together.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went in for a proper inspection today.

My stronger hive has all 10 frames of the first box filled with varies things in good patterns and 7 of the 10 frames of the second box are drawn as well. But only the central 2 of those frames contain brood. The rest seem pretty full of stores. That doesn't seem too good to me. Yes? No?

The second hive's virgin queen was seen on the 8th frame of the lower box. As I was counting down from frame 10, I didn't see any eggs at all until I got to frame 2 and there they were.....a nice tight cluster of eggs. I'm happy to see she seems to be mated and laying but don't know why she was 6 frames over from where I saw eggs. At any rate, I'm hoping things are back on track.

But overall I feel like both hives are putting away a lot of syrup/nectar as apposed to making brood. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it is possible in the interim between laying queens your hive has started filling the broodnest with syrup or nectar or both. With nobody laying eggs the workers tend to get excited about all those empty holes and they will start filling them up. If they have plenty of stores pull the feed bucket for now and make sure she has plenty of room to lay. You can add syrup again later as they need it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Peace. I think I'll give that a try. They're both going through a bag of syrup every 2-3 days now, so I'll let em finish the ones they have and then not feed anymore for a while and just monitor.

By the way, for better or worse, my new queen is huge! Very easy to spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts