Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked on the 2 hives, changed out sugar water, comb building coming along, and just not quite enough to keep smoker going long enough. I removed bur comb, plenty of hinds sticking outward, head butted quite a number of times. Lots of bees coming and going . I just expected the hive to be more full. But hey hopefully they all return with the storms or end of day. Next week I hope I've managed to keep smoker going for a while longer. By then more of the skiddishness will go away.

Question, lots of water (besides wax shavings, some bee poop, and only 1 dead bee) in the oil tray (plastic) so I turned it upside down to avoid all the moisture building up. I saw no hive beetles in it so far.

Thinking of putting a sport cam out there somehow, doesn't that sound like fun!

·
Super Moderator
11,041 Posts
> I turned [oil tray] upside down to avoid all the moisture building up.

Hmmm.

If you are using an oil tray, and have something like mineral oil in it, oil is fairly slow to evaporate. Certainly much slower evaporation than water.

If you are worried about too much moisture in the hive, I suggest implementing a way to reduce that moisture instead. A top vent or top entrance is one way to do do that. And consider putting oil back in that oil tray. If you don't want to use a liquid, lime or diatomaceous earth are also options.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The sport cam sounds like a neat thing. I've run the same idea through my mind but wondered if the close range focus would be good enough. Let us know if you have success!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts