Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sells best glass or plastic? I have seen the bears also. What size is the most popular? We like glass better but not sure about most people. Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
My customers prefer glass containers and will choose them every time over plastic if given a choice. They say the honey tastes better from glass. Quarts are the best selling container size for me. I do sell some pints and 2 pound jars but the quarts are the best sellers. I will not be using any plastic jars or bears next season. I can't get rid of the bears until all other containers are sold out.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
12 oz bears are the best size. Glass sells best, as far as I can tell. I believe that it fits into todays' recycling better than plastic does.

One of the hottest selling items in my product line is the No Drip Invert Plastic Squeeze Bottle. It's plastic of course. The one pound size is what I sell and it is making a noticable impact on the sales of one pound glass jars. I have alot more of them at this time then I would have if I didn't have the Invert container.

I really think you should get a box of the Invert. People like them. It comes in an 8 oz size also. I haven't tried them. I'd rather sell more honey.

The Invert container is a little less costly than one pound glass. But not as much as I thought they would be.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I sell nothing but plastic (8,12,16,32 oz, 5#,1gal.). To this point I've had no requests for glass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sold both last year and the 12oz and 24oz bears went the fastest. I was going to switch to all glass this year because I like it better but, couldn't argue with what what was selling. I think the bears do well because the people that want the honey don't care what it is in and some people just like to have a honey bear on their shelf whether they eat much honey or not.
Nuke

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glass 1 pounders have a bit of a hand up,classic, but easy to use nodrip 1 pound plastic w/comb imprint on the side helped move some last weekend. Everyone was asking for my plastic 1 Lb. BEE bottles, but their site was down on the eve of ordering so, not til next year. Everything moved awsomely, especially POLLEN. Sold out the entire years collection in 2 days. I sell Honey at 7.00 per Lb, and think I'm doin a public service there, but my competition across the lot was going 14.00 per Lb. Dont know what her volume sales were, but even at half mine.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I switched to glass because, for me I find it much easier and less worry to heat the glass bottles in hot water to decrystalize the honey than the plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I chose glass. Most of my customers like the idea that glass can be reused.

My big issue with plastic that I am a small operator and I don't always use a whole box of plastic containers and then I have them sitting in the garage and they get dusty.
Then I have to clean them.

If I put them in the dishwasher the heat warps them. If I wash them by hand they are difficult to dry.......

Glass is the way to go for me.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I use the glass canning jars in pints and quarts. If my customers bring the jars back to me, I give them 50 cents off their next jar. Some customers bring their own containers and get that same 50 cent discount.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That seems to be a good reason to always have some honey bears...

Especially when you make more money on them.
I usually have a few bears but they are the last item to sell and then the customers complain because I don't have quarts or pints! Not worth the hassle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts