Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says looking for a plastic hive top feeder insert source that isn't insanely expensive. Mann Lake is usually good in this area but they are actually very high priced compared to others. Looking to get 25 to 50 for next year. Need 4 gallon capacity. Hoping someone can find a better source then me. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I.m looking for 20 or so myself. I used them this year starting in early spring with really good results. I got a few second hand cheap but I spent the day sanding the moldy supers they came with (after removing the inserts) and probably just should have made new small supers. I'm also going to replace the screens because they were caked with dead bees. Still, at $32 a pieces from ML, I came out ahead. The prices for even just inserts is $24 each buying cases of 5, then a super or wood buy. If you find a source-post it!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,801 Posts
Pierco has a 10 pack of the Ceracell feeder inserts with center chimney and corner inserts for 18.49 each on sale. That's about $14 less than if you bought it with the shallow super frame.

https://www.pierco.com/collections/feeders

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pierco has a 10 pack of the Ceracell feeder inserts with center chimney and corner inserts for 18.49 each on sale. That's about $14 less than if you bought it with the shallow super frame.
They look good. However I really need the 4 gallon feeders. I need to deliver my winter feed in quantity and fast. So a fill once and done is ideal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They look good. However I really need the 4 gallon feeders. I need to deliver my winter feed in quantity and fast. So a fill once and done is ideal.
ML sells the inserts for $25, a little more than the Ceracell and to be honest, I like the ML design better. It looks like it has a larger feeding area and I know last spring when I used the ML ones, they were packed with bees and the nuc's transfer into a deep took off on comb and brood build, filling out before the stronger spring flows. If fact they built out two 10 frame deeps pretty quickly. I didn't look at the cost of the small supers (dah) yet but that's probably the way I'm heading. I'm going to move ahead with getting pricing on a pallet of deep and mediums (with frames) in the next couple of weeks so if I go with ML, I'll see if that purchase has any leverage on pricing their inserts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passing this along. Found plastic hive top feeder inserts from Rossman Apiaries. They are $18 each no matter the amount. Mann Lake is 26.95 each. ML Case of 5 is $120.75 (24.15 ea). Gotta buy $200 from rossman for free shipping. So 12 feeder inserts to hit the savings or other equip to get to magic number. So you can save $5 on each if you need 12 or more. I still think you save like $2-3 if you pay shipping.

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Link to the feeder Clayton is talking about.

One of my mentees uses this style top feeder on her hives and likes it alot. Important to make sure screen is properly positioned or the bees get into the reservoir once it is empty, making it difficult to refill without drowning a few.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey John,

Are these stackable? My issue with the different variety of feeders that I use is storing them for the 11 months that I'm not using them!

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
I don't know if the MannLake inserts are stackable, probably nest somewhat, but you still have the boxes to contend with. Ditto with the Ceracell inserts. I know they do stack, but what to do with the shallow box? I have the Styrofoam feeders from Betterbee and they are the same size as a medium super so I know what you mean with taking up space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have some of the Mann Lake inserts. They don't stack once you insert the metal mesh center. I just use a medium box rather than a shallow box for holding the inserts when feeding. That way I don't have one more thing to store. I expect it would work fine the the Ceracell too. As always, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have some of the Mann Lake inserts. They don't stack once you insert the metal mesh center. I just use a medium box rather than a shallow box for holding the inserts when feeding. That way I don't have one more thing to store. I expect it would work fine the the Ceracell too. As always, thanks for the info.
The Mann Lake Top Feeders are built in small shallow supers and stack like shallows, it yam what it yam (sez Popeye the Sailor Man), I actually used them twice this year, the early spring with heavy syrup feeding to build up the colonies and then late fall to add some winter weight. Both feedings were successful and I still have them on right now. I did a winter wrap with 1" foam board and with two deeps underneath, it came out to 2 foot even from base to bottom of telescopic lid bottom edge. I built some quilt boxes which coincidentally are the same height so when I pull the feeders next week (predicted warming), I'll be able to pull the feeder and slide in the quilt box with room for winter patties between. The double deep plus the shallow can be insulated with half an 8 x 4 sheet of foam with a piece left over for the top-19.95 at the Depot of Homes. Cut with a straight edge and razor knife in 10 minutes for two hives.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts