Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says looking for a plastic hive top feeder insert source that isn't insanely expensive. Mann Lake is usually good in this area but they are actually very high priced compared to others. Looking to get 25 to 50 for next year. Need 4 gallon capacity. Hoping someone can find a better source then me. Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I.m looking for 20 or so myself. I used them this year starting in early spring with really good results. I got a few second hand cheap but I spent the day sanding the moldy supers they came with (after removing the inserts) and probably just should have made new small supers. I'm also going to replace the screens because they were caked with dead bees. Still, at $32 a pieces from ML, I came out ahead. The prices for even just inserts is $24 each buying cases of 5, then a super or wood buy. If you find a source-post it!

·
Super Moderator
5,652 Posts
Pierco has a 10 pack of the Ceracell feeder inserts with center chimney and corner inserts for 18.49 each on sale. That's about $14 less than if you bought it with the shallow super frame.

https://www.pierco.com/collections/feeders

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pierco has a 10 pack of the Ceracell feeder inserts with center chimney and corner inserts for 18.49 each on sale. That's about $14 less than if you bought it with the shallow super frame.
They look good. However I really need the 4 gallon feeders. I need to deliver my winter feed in quantity and fast. So a fill once and done is ideal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They look good. However I really need the 4 gallon feeders. I need to deliver my winter feed in quantity and fast. So a fill once and done is ideal.
ML sells the inserts for $25, a little more than the Ceracell and to be honest, I like the ML design better. It looks like it has a larger feeding area and I know last spring when I used the ML ones, they were packed with bees and the nuc's transfer into a deep took off on comb and brood build, filling out before the stronger spring flows. If fact they built out two 10 frame deeps pretty quickly. I didn't look at the cost of the small supers (dah) yet but that's probably the way I'm heading. I'm going to move ahead with getting pricing on a pallet of deep and mediums (with frames) in the next couple of weeks so if I go with ML, I'll see if that purchase has any leverage on pricing their inserts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts