Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dozen or so I inherited with colonies I bought last year. I want to phase them out but they have good comb built so I'll put them to use for the time being. My main issue with them is the number of beatles that hide in the voids around the edge of the frames. I'd like to fill them with something and considered wax but silicone would be faster. I've read posts regarding people using it to seal cracks/voids inside the hive body but haven't read of anyone using for my intending purpose. Has anyone done this?
IMG_20210221_215813286.jpg

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Wax is too valuable for that. I would use silicone caulking tubes that are something like 2" x 12" not the squeeze tubes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a few small squeeze tubes of silicone on hand, any reason not to use it instead of calking tubes other than efficiency?

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I have a few small squeeze tubes of silicone on hand, any reason not to use it instead of calking tubes other than efficiency?
You may as well use up the small tubes especially if they have been opened but small tubes or hot glue sticks ect. but their small volumes are many times more expensive than the larger, gun type sources.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not related to the voids, but the thing I like least about plastic frames is the ears tend to break off, which ruins the frame/comb. Phasing them out is IMO, a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts