Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm trying to see if anyone here has used the one-piece black 9-1/8 plastic frames and foundation for your brood boxes? I want to know if they're durable.

As of right now, I'm using the wooden frames with the Plasticell foundation from Dadant, and my bees were right to it. I like the wooden frames and the bees liked the plastic foundation just fine.

But I'm looking at the one-piece plastic frames and foundation (from Brushy Mountain) for future hives...and that's just for the brood boxes. I see pictures of other beek's hives and they use them, but I'm just wondering if the plastic frames are durable or if they snap or break easily...especially when things get all gummy with propolis.

If you've had experience with the one-piece plastic frames and foundation, please let me know how they worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I have never used the plastic frames but use wood frames with plastic foundation all the time. I have talked to people that say the bees dont realy like the plastic frames what the differance is I dont know, another bad thing I have heard from I have talked to is that the small hive bettles like to hide in the grove along the side of the plastic frames.
I am sure there will be a lot of answers for you so hang on :popcorn:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The only plastic I've had a lot of luck with acceptance on is the PF100 series from Mann Lake. I bought a few thousand of the PF120s. They are not the most durable, but they are strong enough and cheap AND 4.95mm cell size, which may contribute to the acceptance issue...

·
Banned
578 Posts
I have had good luck with the Pierco and know some beekeepers who use nothing but.

I like them because they have what is in my experience and region the closest cell size to what bees will draw themselves -- 5.25mm -- and have thin top and bottom bars. Compared to other standard plastic foudation in wood frames, there is about 20% more brood per frame due to the combination cell size and reduced bar area.

They are a little flexible when you handle them (no problem), and the only real complaint I have heard is from commercial guys who find they slip on the conveyors of their uncappers and extractors.

If I were buying new equipment, I would get nothing but black Pierco standard frames and probably Betterbee styrofoam boxes for brood chambers. The assembly is a snap. Literally.

We did a study. http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/fdnvsdrawn.htm

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I bought five cases of Pierco foundation and frames, 5 different items last year. All of their products are still working great. The girls drew them out quick. I was surprised given the horror stories on the forum. I have not had a single broken frame or problem yet. Duragilt is not worth the time or money. I lost half those in the extractor.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
All we are running is Pierco now and as the wood ones break or comb gets too dark we are replacing them so soon the whole operation (4000 + hives) will be running nothing but Pierco. Bees have no problem drawing them out. They are strong and easy to work with.

Give Nick a call at Pierco for large orders...great guy to work with.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have had a couple end tabs break off Pierco frames. I do paint an extra coat of wax onto Pierco frames for better acceptance.

I like that they are preassembled, and like that I don't have to worry about blowouts with my extractor. I do wish the Pierco frames had more wax on them from the factory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I purchased 416 Pierco black frames last year, and bees took to them well. I didnt have any of them break on me. I just talked to Nick yesterday and ordered 32 cases of the same Pierco black frames. The best part is you dont have to assemble them. Just plug and play.:applause:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've used the MannLake PF120 and had no problems. I add a bit more wax and the bees draw them out beautifully and small cell so good for brood box.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the input. I think I'm going to give the Piercos a try. I've talked to quite a few people who like them so I'll see if they do well in my brood boxes. Thanks to all!

Give Nick a call at Pierco for large orders...great guy to work with.
Alpha6, just wanted to let you know that I spoke to Nick, and you're right, he is a great guy. He told me to call Brushy Mountain (they're a little over an hour from me by car) because they're a reseller for him. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts