Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used wooden frames with wax foundation for the past year. I am leaning to the plastic frames and foundation for at least the honey supers.

1. Will using plastic in the supers and wood/wax in the deeps work OK? I heard you should not mix.

2. With the wax foundation the bees "eat" holes in the foundation for pathways. Can a bee do that with plastic foundation? Anyone ever pre-drill holes to do something like this?

Paul

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
1-Just don't mix the foundation in the same box. Once it is drawn they can be mixed. I have mixed plastic and wax drawn in my deeps with no problem.
2-The bees will not chew through the plastic. Unless you have the chupacubra stock out of texas:D Some plastic foundations have perferations on the corners so you can snap them off for that reason.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Anyone ever pre-drill holes to do something like this?

I drilled a couple 3/4 inch holes in some plastic frames last year. I didn't count for certain, but I'd say a rough guess is the bees drew comb and plugged half the holes. The other half they drew comb around the hole but left the hole open. If I drill any more frames it will just be one hole per frame, instead of two. (Why drill two holes if the bees are going to close one up?)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I tend not to mix plastic and wood frames. When I used to use plastic, the bees pretty much filled up any pathway with comb, often with drone comb. Then again, I have plenty of wood /wax frames that have voids where the bees chewed the wax out and never filled it back in. Go figure! Bees will be bees I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.