Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Plastic foundation - Gotta love it

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  David LaFerney 
#1 ·
This always elicits negative responses and advice about adding wax or magic elixir to get frames drawn out. Everyone has their favorites - I use Mann Lake ritecell mostly - right out of the box, no additives. Quick and easy - no wires, no sags, no holes eaten in it during dearths. But the best thing about plastic foundation for me is this:

Frames not correctly drawn out or damaged by SHB or Wax moths? Scrape off the spooge - that's it - don't wash it, wax it, spray it with joy juice or genuflect to it...

... just put them in a moderately strong hive during a decent flow that needs more comb. Check back in 2-3 weeks...

The bees will even work on removing the duct tape for you.

Your mileage may vary.

BTW - while I do like plastic foundation, after a pretty good trial I don't much like all plastic frames like the one in the pictures - Mainly because they stick together in the hive. Everything else I could live with but that is very aggravating to me. So, I'm talking about wooden frames with plastic foundation.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is nothing I hate more than having to put together frames and foundation. I bought a bunch of preassembled wood frames with Ritecell from Mann Lake this year. Bees seem to like it and I like being able to just grab frames out of the box. I don't plan on ever putting frames together again.

#4 ·
I had one of those each in two nucs I bought. It was the " fifth building frame" for the bees. I put it into my 10frame when I got home. the bees totally ignored this black frame/foundation and went straight to buiding natural comb on the foundationless frames I also installed. Besides ignoring it........I did not care for all the lil hidey holes for SHB that this style frame provided. Gave em too many spots to crawl into and the bees cant get to them to run em out. After 3 weeks I took it out and threw it away. This was my personal expeierence. Others I'm sure feel diffrently. No prob...each to their own so they say!

#6 ·
BTW - while I do like plastic foundation, after a pretty good trial I don't much like all plastic frames like the one in the pictures - Mainly because they stick together in the hive. Everything else I could live with but that is very aggravating to me. So, I'm talking about wooden frames with plastic foundation.
I agree 100% with your assessment. Nice post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.