Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a way to clean plastic foundation? I got some wax moths on my honey frames, but caught them before they got too far, but now my foundation is brown and dirty, after I cleaned off the comb. I tried steaming it off, and it didn't work. Any help?

·
Registered
87 Posts
try a hair blowdryer, let drip off under heat and leave te rest it won't hurt the bees. i use a solar wax melter that i have made.
you can also try boilingwater and using a paint brush to wash off dirt.
be careful with hot water, you can't blame McDonalds HEHE! good luck

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Now that you steamed it you will have trouble removing the thick coat of wax without damaging the plastic. If you freeze the plastic comb(that hasn't been steamed) the wax should get brittle and scrape of real easy unless it is old and thick walled.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Mountainman,

You are the only one who cares about the brown base. The bees don't.
Give it back to them and put them back to work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have gone to very creative efforts to resurface plastic foundation. I have scraped off as much wax as possible and then dipped in water that is 150-160 degrees. The wax will come right off and I use a grill cleaning brush to really clean the surface prior to rewaxing. I have dipped the entire frame and it works just fine, the secret to the process is dipping and quickly removing from the hot water. If done properly it will not damage the plastic. If left in the water too long or if the water is too hot then the plastic will deform.
Rewaxing is easy, use a very thin small paint roller with a pan of melted wax and you will be just fine.
The wax temp should be about 155 degrees, no hotter and make sure you have allowed the plastic to completely dry from the water. My next experiment will be with a water spray system that will be sprayed from a commercial hose at a temp well above the melting point of the wax. I plan on doing this over some type of drain where I can recapture the removed wax for recycling.
The plastic cell supplied by Dadant has had much less wax applied than the plastic cell foundation that I have used from a supplier in Oregon. Has anyone else compared the two foundations?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts