Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Seattle and back I saw fields of crops along I 90 that had white umbrel type flowers in irrigated fields. Not potatoes! Any clue what someone is growing just west of George (town of) Washington?

Additionally, at my sons home in Everett Wa which is rapidly being over run by blackberries, I saw nary a honeybee, it was not raining and the sun even shown part of one afternoon. Upon seeing the Sun, the 3 year old made a panicked dash to the house while the ten year old just sought shade trembling. Aren't bees allowed in the cities or is it just to wet and gloomy for them? I thought blackberries were a honeyplant?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Possible Buckwheat for the fields of crops flowering.

Blackberries are a true honeyplant as mine worked them like crazy for two weeks while they were in bloom.

It is illegal in some towns in the USA today still to have honeybees, crazy but true. It's only been the last few years that some cities have loosened up and changed their charters to allow them back in.

·
Registered
423 Posts
yep, in Western Washington, blackberries are the major honey crop. Some maple in the spring if they get flying weather, some fireweed in summer at higher elevations (and you can get access). Of course, there are minor crops, mostly berries. I don't know if apple and cherry pollination yields much honey.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The blackberries are a major source here too, but, dont spend all day looking for honeybees on them. They are in full bloom here, and we see nary a bee on them for most of the day, with the scale hive showing decrease for most of the day. But, on a warm day like today, starting around 4:30 in the afternoon, the hive starts gaining weight, fast. Today, 4 pounds from 4:30 till about 7pm. When I walked back to the blackberry patch just before dinner, it's crawling with honeybees, but thru most of the day, was just bumblebees. The other thing we've seen very clearly from the scale hive, on days when the day high is less than 22C, even with the berries blooming, there is no weight gain, and usually some loss. But on days when the high gets above 25C, weight goes up, quite a bit. Back in the beginning of June, we had one day where it put on over 8 pounds in an afternoon. You can see it clearly here:-

http://www.rozeware.com/hives

We've had a couple of weeks of cool and wet, which finally turned back to sun and warm today. The blackberries look to be about half done, so, hoping there's another 40lb of honey still left in them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Upon seeing the Sun, the 3 year old made a panicked dash to the house while the ten year old just sought shade trembling.
I guess you have to be a Washingtonian to really appreciate the humor :applause:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Vance, I think I read there are no blackberries to speak of in Montana, at least not enough to provide a flow. Is that correct?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blackberries will not survive winter here at least on this side of the mountains which is the cold one. After cutting and removing them for a few hours, I think that may be a blessing.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Going up to 95 here today and we get all the warnings about heat stroke and water for the pets. Everybody is whining and ducking for cover. Stores are sold out of sunscreen and fans! Dogs and cats living together, total anarchy!
Berries are peaked to almost done depending on the elevation. You can stand by my road and see bees by the thousands profiled against the sky.
You cut blackberry vines you better come back and spray them in 2 weeks or you just have more! You cut down a full acre of them you need to keep your pets inside they grow back so fast.
The plants you described sound like carrots. it is a bee pollenated crop, dark nasty honey I understand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts