Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am inquiring about any, free, plans for building a DIY bee vacuum to midicate the cost of buying a new bee vacuum, online. Do any of my fellow Beesoure forum members have to knowledge of any plans or websites that offer any free plans.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Many moons ago I spotted an old workshop wet & dry vacuum left outside for the bin-men to collect, so I rescued it instead and turned it into a Bee-Vac. There's not much to it really, certainly no need for any plans ...

Here's the base - with the same size footprint as our square 'National' boxes, together with it's hose which can be used either on it's own or with whatever length of tube is convenient - up to around 20ft.

This is the vented top of the box which is normally screwed in place. There's an aluminium slide which is locked in place during use and during transport.

Finally a shot of the vacuum unit which is clipped on top of the mesh panel during use, and removed once the swarm has been recovered. On top of the vacuum unit can be seen the closure which replaces the hose just prior to switch-off and which stays in place (of course) during transportation.

When back at the apiary, a brood box containing a frame of open brood is then placed on top of the mesh panel, and the slide withdrawn. The swarm will then move up into the brood box. The Bee-Vac base unit can then be recovered for re-use - or more likely put back into the shed to collect even more dust ... :)

Hope this has been of some interest.
LJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts