Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited to place a couple hives on a small farm. When I went out to inspect the area, I saw another hive there and they said it belonged to another beekeeper who had caught a swarm and was keeping the hive there.

My question: Is it appropriate to move your hives next to another beekeeper's (he's semi-sideliner/hobby) even if invited by the property owner to do so?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Re: Sticking Hives next to someone else's...

Given the small scale, I see nothing wrong. After all, bees forage for miles and with only one hive next door you're not going to be reducing their forage at all. Different situation if the number of hives either of you had was significantly larger.

·
Registered
641 Posts

If you have doubt as to whether it is appropriate, it is not.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

What conclusionwill you draw when the other hive has 5 supers stacked on it and yours are struggling to just feed themselves? Or your dies for mysterious reasons and his are fine? He treats. You don't. His have AFB yours don't? He open feeds antibiotics? Just too many unknowns. Then there is the idea that if two Beekeepers are ther why not three, etc?

So as I said NO. Now you may talk with the other keeper and reach agreement on these things. But seems problematic. What if one goes queenless? There could be a temptation to grab some brood from the other hive. Wrong I know but still tempting but I do it my apiaries.

Problematic at best.

·
Registered
866 Posts

As was stated earlier, given the small scale, I don't think it is a problem. After all, the State of California is shared by beekeepers from all over the US during almond bloom. :) Maybe the farmer is looking to get more pollination than that the other beekeeper is able to provide.

If I had an invite from the land owner, and no commercial operations are involved, I would go for it.

My decission would be based on whether or not it was good for my bees.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

If you have doubt as to whether it is appropriate, it is not.
Amen.

In the least it ruffles feathers. Rubs people the wrong way. I know that having one apiary, one hive, in close proximity to another has little impact on honey production of either apiary or hive. Yet, there is a sense of territory one has when setting a hive or apiary in place. A sense of ownership of sorts.

You aren't going to make any friends. Which is more important to you? A friend who has land for you to put your hive on or a friend who could come to your aid when something happens w/ your bees? And if a landowner would invite you to set your hive next to a hive already on sight what would keep them from doing so w/ your hive, invite another beekeeper to do the same.

Maybe we don't know everything going on here. Is the hive on sight being moved away soon? Or will it remain there?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts

I would want to talk to the other beekeeper and find out for myself how they are with it. I would also consider the other problems that might arise. what happens every time you think something funny is with your hives. What will be the reaction when one of you finds your hive being robbed by the others colony? Bees may be communal but I am not so sure beekeepers are. As for Almonds. beekeepers get paid to keep their hives there. It is part of the compensation for the problems that might be caused by it.

·
Registered
208 Posts

I wouldn't like it if someone placed a hive beside mine and I just keep them for fun. In fact, I would move my hive off the property if someone did that to me. Just seems wrong.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Maybe you have already done so, but I think a little communication between you, the other bee keeper and the land owner would go a lot further than posting your question here. You may get to know the other guy and get to work together in the future on stuff. Communication is the best solution I think.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Maybe the land owner is naive and that is why you did not know about the other bees before you saw them. Maybe the landowner's view is simply "my land, my rules". That view may not match your "my bees, my rules" view.

Caught a swarm? Other keep might be looking for company/guidance. They should be looking for 2nd hive at least.

Do unto others....

Talk.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Awesome advice from everyone - I thank you all.

I'll be talking with both the landowner and the beekeeper. I need more details from both of them.

Again, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts

I look at it the same way many posters have. I wouldn't do it. Suppose I'm deer hunting and have a ground stand on top of a small hill overlooking a prime area. I wouldn't be too pleased if another hunter stood right next to me hunting the same spot, even if the property owner invited us both to use the land for hunting. It's just not the right thing to do.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Deer blind is a little different than a duck blind where there is enough for more than one. I found another's blind in a spot I was returning to after a couple of years absent. After a conversation we often shared the blind and often used it separately for several years. It was more enjoyable on the days we both happened to be there. Still one of my favorite hunting memories.
Had he not welcomed me, I would have left the spot for him even though the land had been in the family from the mid 1700s and still is.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Awesome advice from everyone - I thank you all.

I'll be talking with both the landowner and the beekeeper. I need more details from both of them.

Again, thanks!
I would agree with talking mainly to the other keeper. If he has any bit of hesitation, or his personality may not get along with yours, any hint of struggles or clashes, I wouldn't do it at all and graciously decline. If the two of you got along well, and I don't think one visit with him would always make that apparent, then I would go ahead with the understanding that I was the intruder and be ready to bow out gracefully if there were any issues to cause friction between the two of you. I would get to know him a bit more than a casual hello before I moved in nearby. If the place was beneficial to you, you can offer to help him out with guidance, emergency frame of brood, get him started with a second hive, etc. The one thing I can think of that would make it very bad would be if his hive got robbed out and he lost it. It wouldn't matter where the bees came from that did it, yours would be guilty. If I had the resources and moved nearby, I would expect to, and be ready to help make his hive as successful as my own if I could. It could end up a very good friendship or a very bad situation if you did it. If the other keeper seems like good company and you do it, advance with great care and not too many hives.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

I was invited to place a couple hives on a small farm. When I went out to inspect the area, I saw another hive there and they said it belonged to another beekeeper who had caught a swarm and was keeping the hive there.

My question: Is it appropriate to move your hives next to another beekeeper's (he's semi-sideliner/hobby) even if invited by the property owner to do so?

Thanks for your thoughts.
If you have no other reasonable sites available to place your hives I would consider it. I think it would be better to avoid this if you can get your hives in a good site.

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts