Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we are still in the cold, and wet, of this year I find myself thinking ahead and wondering how to improve things for next winter.

This year I have some hives up against the house under the eves and totally uncovered...so easy to get at; another group just with clear heavy plastic draped over and held in place with bricks...not bad to get at and lastly a group of hives under a heavy, doubled over tarp that drapes the full depth of the back and to just above the bottom entrance. This huge tarp is tied down and has some bricks on the hives as well. It is a pain moving that tarp to check and add food for the bees.

For next year I plan to have some hives in an open field (hope the horses leave them alone). I have read here that bees do not over winter well in green houses but am thinking of putting them under one of those large storage tents...about 20'x10' and 8' or so high. I would leave the ends open and in nice weather roll up the sides as well. In winter I would lower the sides to about two feet from the ground. If that worked for the bees it certainly would be easier to check them in the winter. It would be somewhat like a poor mans bee hause.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried this?....did it work?

You mentioned horses, I have had horses for the last 50 years and can tell you they wont leave them alone.
Bees and horses don't mix, for some reason bees hate horses, all the horse has to do is walk by and they are on him like nobodys business.
I guess its a horses nature to mess with stuff. He will knock them over without a doubt. No way would I put bees in with the horse or even to where the horse can reach them over the fence.

Just my experience and 2 cents worth
Randy

·
Registered
330 Posts

Off topic, but Randy,
I'm mulling over an offer to place bees at a horse farm. The hives would be placed about 200 yrds away from the horses. The horses wouldn't be able to get close to the bees unless they got loose. Other than bees possibly getting water from horses' water founta, there wouldn't be any close interaction between them. I'm a little bit concerned about placing bees there though, just because of the issue of bees and horses not mixing well. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Off topic, but Randy,
I'm mulling over an offer to place bees at a horse farm. The hives would be placed about 200 yrds away from the horses. The horses wouldn't be able to get close to the bees unless they got loose. Other than bees possibly getting water from horses' water founta, there wouldn't be any close interaction between them. I'm a little bit concerned about placing bees there though, just because of the issue of bees and horses not mixing well. What do you think?
I say NEIGH! :lookout:

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts

Having bees and horse/cows separated by 200 yards is quite a long distance. My bees are within 600 feet of my neighbors' livestock pastures, and no one has ever suggested there is an issue.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks...I wondered about that...there would 7 in the immediate area I had hoped to put the bee tent:(

You mentioned horses, I have had horses for the last 50 years and can tell you they wont leave them alone.
Bees and horses don't mix, for some reason bees hate horses, all the horse has to do is walk by and they are on him like nobodys business.
I guess its a horses nature to mess with stuff. He will knock them over without a doubt. No way would I put bees in with the horse or even to where the horse can reach them over the fence.

Just my experience and 2 cents worth
Randy

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Last year my bees were 50 ft from the horses with a fence in between. The horses, and bees, behaviour seemed normal however a mare we have had for years developed ongoing urticaria that required ongoing medication. The issued stopped when the bees stopped flying in the fall.
Off topic, but Randy,

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That is a good post by Laurie. I do think it could work if put up in the fall and not too high above the wintered boxes with the lower entrance uncovered.

·
Registered
253 Posts

WBVC -I also have my bee yard 50 feet from my horse fence. No problem. The bees spend a good part of the summer collecting nectar from the white clover in the horse lots with no interaction with the horses. However, I could not possibably put a hive, tent , flytrap (tried that) or anything else with the horses - they chew, rub and kick everything.
Charlie

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have a round pen that I use only infrequently...I had thought to put the bee set up inside the round pen:)
However I just brought home a yearling so may be needing to keep the round pen free for horse use after all.

·
Registered
95 Posts

My take on the original post was that the hives would be in the pasture with the horses. I feel that any distance 50 feet or more from the fence would be good and no problems.
Sorry if I mis read.

Randy

·
Registered
5,648 Posts

a young lady that has hives near one of my apiaries uses old totes turned upside down and one side cut out of it, looks like it works fine, the skid is on top so they don't get rain or snow on them, the sides block the wind, they are heavy enough not to move, and I would guess the temp. goes up on a sunny day. she has done this the last two years, next time I see here I'll ask how they survive the winter. would be to expensive for a lot of hives unless someone was getting rid of the totes for free.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,992 Posts

>I plan to have some hives in an open field (hope the horses leave them alone).

They will not. I usually have the hives fenced off from the horses. The horses often graze right in front of the hives (their noses six from the entrance when they are trying to reach through the fence) and they do fine with that. If they get stung they run to the other end of the pasture. When the horses have gotten into the bees they have oftenknocked down several at one time as once they get stung they buck and kick and run over more hives... I've also had them eat the hives, the frames etc. I dont think the nails were very good for them...

Indoor wintering is much tricker than outdoor. I would study all the threads on the topic thoroughly and listen to the problems and sucesses people have had.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Bees and horses , cattle any livestock don't mix. The bees will sting them every time they pass the hives. and then after a week of that you wont be to work in your bee hives.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You did not misread. The original post was..have any of you tried this...I have no idea how it morphed into a title of bees in horse pasture.

I asked primarily about the tent. Then queried the placement of the tent. Outside the horse area, within the horse area, within the horse area but confined by the round pen.

The round pen is likely the best option but I think I will need it for horses again this summer. Another option is to keep one paddock just for bees:)

Or to group them in a pasture and put fencing around them.

After reading Lauri's post I think the tent may be too high and a plastic lean to out of dark plastic may be best.
My take on the original post was that the hives would be in the pasture with the horses. I feel that any distance 50 feet or more from the fence would be good and no problems.
Sorry if I mis read.

Randy

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

a young lady that has hives near one of my apiaries uses old totes turned upside down and one side cut out of it, looks like it works fine, the skid is on top so they don't get rain or snow on them, the sides block the wind, they are heavy enough not to move, and I would guess the temp. goes up on a sunny day. she has done this the last two years, next time I see here I'll ask how they survive the winter. would be to expensive for a lot of hives unless someone was getting rid of the totes for free.
What is a "tote"?

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts

Totes come in a variety of forms, but basically they are similar to pallets with sides, and perhaps a top. Here is one style:

Some totes are suitable to use as syrup tanks ...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

WOW...they don't look something one would throw away!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts