Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wise to place a 5 frame nuc next to a one week old package? Will they rob a hive that has nothing. Or are there other concerns I should be worried about

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Placement isn't as important as if you are feeding them both or not. If you are feeding both of them at the same time, make sure you feed them both the same amount. That is even more important if you are using HBH or EO. If you happen to use boardman feeders, it is prone to make hives rob each other. Using a top feeder or internal feeder is more advisable in this situation.. I place hive after hive in a line, some nuc's some strong hives. When I feed i user top feeders and i make sure i feed each hive just enough that they can take down in a night and draw wax with it. I only feed in the evening before dark for that reason as well..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have 2 five frame nucs 2 ft from a monster swarm I hived in april, 2 deeps 4 supers, no robbing so far. No feeding either. G

·
Registered
162 Posts
Placement isn't as important as if you are feeding them both or not. If you are feeding both of them at the same time, make sure you feed them both the same amount. That is even more important if you are using HBH or EO. If you happen to use boardman feeders, it is prone to make hives rob each other. Using a top feeder or internal feeder is more advisable in this situation.. I place hive after hive in a line, some nuc's some strong hives. When I feed i user top feeders and i make sure i feed each hive just enough that they can take down in a night and draw wax with it. I only feed in the evening before dark for that reason as well..
Hi, I noticed you have Russians and Italians. How far apart do you keep them? A beek friend of mine had four Italians and four Russians 50 yards apart. The Russians killed the Italians off as soon as they got settled in. Most people I have talked with say you can't raise them with anything else. I personally have Pol-Line, VP Spartan, and Bee Weaver's but I found your quote interesting. Thanks, James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts