Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for so many questions lately. I split several colonies a few weeks ago to stop swarming. Now i have a few colonies with 2 deep brood boxes (no brood) and a few hundred pounds of honey on top of them just coming into capping. Since i don't have a brood chamber, When i add queen cells does it matter if I just put them in the top super or does it dramatically increase take rate by putting her in the bottom box near the entrance?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
i just did this with 3 dozen nucs i made up
-> just put the cells in the top gently between two brood frames
-I did this had 100% hatch and acceptance. Not all mated though i had 4 total out of 33 that didnt get back mated successfully.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just did this with 3 dozen nucs i made up
-> just put the cells in the top gently between two brood frames
-I did this had 100% hatch and acceptance. Not all mated though i had 4 total out of 33 that didnt get back mated successfully.
Thanks. yes that is what i'm doing on my mating nucs. The question is on large hives with 2 deeps and 3 supers, no brood, no queen. Does it matter if i just put it in the top box and save myself all the lifting or is there some reason to put in say the bottom box? I think it would only matter if i had a brood chamber down there.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
If it is warm enough, I do not think there would be any difference. I think it is warm enough now.

Requeening with a queen cell in the top is a pretty common commercial procedure from my reading.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks. The question is on large hives with 2 deeps and 3 supers, no brood, no queen.

Big hive, no brood? I would try to give them a frame of brood and place cell adjacent to the brood. Also, I would put it where you want the brood nest to be, IOW, the bottom box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts