Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry I don't know why my photos are sideways they wasn't saved that way. Anyway I am planning to set up my hives at our river property no one is around and there is plenty of available water nearby property is in slew about 200 yards from the area I am most thinking about. We have mulberry vines there and lots of wild flowers. Anyway thanks for looking a thanks in advance for suggestions. IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1512.jpg

1st photo is my favorite location it's away from the cabin but close enough to carry honey frames. The 2nd photo is in front of cabin, 3rd photo is down the hill from the cabin but closest to water.

I live in Jefferson County, Alabama....

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
249 Posts
A rule of thumb for me is never closer than 100' from your door. When the dearth hits mid summer the bees get very defensive. That said a friend from my bee club had a similar situation. After the first year when he increased to 5 colonies from local mating the bees were always aggressive. I like to keep mine on the south side of trees if possible.

Good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
Whichever end gets the most southern exposure is going to be your best bet. Getting them as far away from your house though, should also be a priority since as mentioned above, they can get aggressive during dearths. Also, does the water level of your water feature change a lot? If it does, you need to consider that in your placement. These pictures all look like very nice spots with dappled shade. I'm sure that Alabama sun can be pretty brutal in the summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts