Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question, here is the scenario. I have a hive and it swarmed a few days ago. Today I was in the original hive and I heard a chirping sound, it seems like somewhere in the past I have heard the term piping, a sound the queens make. This would have been a new queen. Has anybody ever heard of piping and do you have any information.
Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It was several years before I actually heard queen piping. Piping is an expression or call to other queens. Usually it means I am the lady of the house and for rivals you are about to die! I have had several queen battery boxes this year from the "populate the hive" workshops. All those queens in one place really make some noise, a beautiful sound to me.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Search piping on here....it was one of the coolest things i ever heard as a new beek. You can also search on youtube. They are great examples. Had i never heard that, i wouldnt have known what it was, but i actually got to hear and see it as a 2nd year beek. It was the coolest thing ever until i heard the other one answer and they found each other...now that was the coolest thing ever. The new queen won..LOL.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yep, two queens saying I am going to get you! This year I had purchased two queens and stored them side by side in my bedroom. They started piping and didn't stop for hours. Wonderful sound!

·
Registered
105 Posts
A month or so ago I had 12 queens in my bedroom over night in a shipping box and they piped most of the night really cool. a little erie at first

1 - 6 of 6 Posts