Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received shipment with 2 Queens today and noticed that there is piping coming from the mini-battery box. Does this mean that one of the queens is a virgin or do mated queens also pipe? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Real newbie here... what IS "piping"?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was in my hive last night and heard one piping...she was right near some supercedure cells when I heard her (or maybe one in the cells?) piping. Anyhow, I only saw the queen for a moment and then the other bees immediately balled her. It was very odd. Anyhow, I closed it all back up and figured they will sort it out. I will check again in a few days and see what happens...Even if they killed the queen (she is/was a good one...would be a shame), the capped cells should provide a replacement. I guess omething must have been wrong with her since they were replacing but I couldn't tell what it was...anyhow, that's why I left it up to them...but it was cool to hear the piping!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just an interesting observation. I use one of those plastic tubes with a plunger to catch and hold queens for marking. If things are going well(they seldom do) and there are only a few minutes between marking one queen and the next, I often hear the second queen piping. I assume some of the earlier queens pherimones remain in the tube and convince the new queen that she has a competetator near by. On the other hand I have a queen bank with multiple queens confinded side by side in cages and have never heard piping from them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts