Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a pile of dead bees outside one of my hives for the last week or so. There are probably around a couple hundred. Most of them look like drones but there are some workers with their tongue sticking out. Is this pesticide kill? I know I don't have any pictures so had to tell and don't plan on sending in samples unless it gets worse. Just strange that a strong hive would start leaving a pile right in front of the hive. Mite count is about 20 Varroa over a week. They have stores and have had a robber screen on for almost a month now. Any ideas?
IMG951379.jpg
P.S. 87 degree day with 60% humidity and I haven't been feeding since June.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, yeah not that worried about it, just was curious about the workers with their tongue sticking out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told dead bees that have tongue sticking out is normally caused by pesticides. The hive looking like that with bees all over the outside and dead bees can me caused by a robbing session.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking pesticides as well, but it wasn't that many, just wasn't sure since I heard that as well but couldn't find where I heard that. I don't think I have had any robbing, small attempts yes, but I have had that screen on and the entrance reduced. It was very hot and humid that day. All was calm, just a ton of bees hanging out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts