Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pierco question...

1500 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Michael Bush
Started 2 hives this year on all pierco foundation. Noticed when I received it that the wax was soptty on the frames - like it got too hot and ran off - there was very little visible wax on the foundations though they smelled like beeswax. Have been coming across clumps of wax in the shipping box. The bees seem to be slow to draw out the outer frames in both colonies - could this be due to the quality of the wax coating, or ar they just taking their time? In other words, when pierco foundation is "waxed" is it a nice visible uniform coating?

Thanks, BS
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,472 Posts
The Pierco I have looks like the sprayed it on. It wasn't real consistant, but it wasn't clumped anywhere either.

Sounds like maybe your's got hot somewhere? In a warehouse? On the way to your house? I don't know but that's what your description sounds like. If it's all clumped up and the cells are not nicely formed because of clumps of wax in them, then maybe that is part of their problem. They probably have to redo all the wax first and then get frustrated when they hit the plastic?

I'm not sure what you best course of action is. If you have a pot big enough and enough wax you could dip the whole frames (that are not being used by the bees) in wax and then shake it off well. (what a mess!)

You could just use a nail or something on those lines and go around the insides of the cells to get the clumps out.

· Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,472 Posts
It could be they just don't feel like doing anything.
If it's not clumped on the plastic then it's probably fine. You just need a film of it on the plastic. I'm afraid painting it on will clump up more, but you could try it and see what it does. My guess is that dipping it will get an even coat on it. Maybe painting will too. But probably if there is a thin layer it's good enough. Have you tried Honey Bee Healthy in syrup to spray on it? Or Lemongrass oil & honey mixed into the syrup? (same principle) Or even honey and water to make a watered down syrup?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.