Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Pierco One Piece Frame and Drone Foundation? I had trouble with the wax drone comb staying straight in the frames and I'm looking for alternatives. It doesn't say anything about being beeswax coated.

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=380

Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put 104 frames on 12 strong single stories in late july early august this year. All but 5 got drawm out by end of sept. All hives got 7 gal corn suryp w/20% water.
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I bought mine from Brushy Mtn, but yeah, these are the same thing I'm using.

Seems my bees draw it out about 2/3 of the way and quit though. The bottom inch and most of the bottom corners did not get drawn out though.

I leave them in until the drone cells are capped and then substitute another frame and freeze em. I did it all summer and quit when the queen quit laying drones in Sept.

P.S. Yes it does say it is Beeswax coated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I inserted one into the center of one hive and left it there. The experience of drawing it out fully was the same as Troy's, about 2/3 drawn. I just figured that was enough drones for them. They also made a monster-huge queen cell, the biggest I ever saw or have heard of, on that frame.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same experience as Wade and Troy, as used on four colonies last year, but placed to side of brood nest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been using these frames in my own hives and other beekeepers here are buying them from me. So, it seems they are widely used. They are wax coated and almost indestructable!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, I missed the beeswax coated part. I went ahead and got a few to try. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts