Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given one of these. Looks old. No thermostat.

I don't have many frames to uncap (2 supers). I don't want to burn my honey. Should I try using this sucker, or should I just use a bread knife?

Anyone have a model like this?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Use it! It will beat a bread knife by a mile. If you want to control how hot it gets, get a plastic electrical box and put a light dimmer and a wall outlet in it. You will be able to control the amount of current that goes to it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what you mean by "top" of the blade. But there are two sides to the blade. One side has a protuberance. On the other side, directly opposite the protuberance is a very small screw. It's in the blade. Is that a control?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "top" of the blade. But there are two sides to the blade. One side has a protuberance. On the other side, directly opposite the protuberance is a very small screw. It's in the blade. Is that a control?
yep, thats it. i believe clockwise makes it get hotter, but mines been set for decades and i cant be sure. try contacting them directly. if you move fast slicing cappings, its near impossible to burn your honey. good luck,mike

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That protuberance is the thermostat.. The screw is to adjust the cut-off temp. It is pretty sensitive as I learned the hard way. Unless it is really scorching honey, I would leave it alone. They added the control on the cord after people started messing with the screw. Wow, I avoided that pun nicely!

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Thye can scorch honey and mine from pierce has no visible control. A Christmas gift but I had one years ago. Just get your frames ready. Turn it on and when it starts to warm up--work fast and keep the blade in your cappings. That way it won't get real hot. Uplug it if there is going to be a break in use. A learning curve in nearly everything.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. This one is used and has a temp screw in the blade. I'm just going to start with the setting the pervious user had it set to. Thanks and have a happy New Year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts