Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photos!!

How do you extract:scratch:
Crush and strain mostly. I tried to uncap them but kind of hard when you cant slide the knife down the sides of the frames.

I crush it up and strain it though some wide screen then I strain it again though some window screen. Works good outside in the sun.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I bet that you would enjoy having those combs in frames so you can turn them all sorts of different ways and not worry about breaking the comb from the bar.

I don't see how a proper AFB inspection can be done if you can't hold the top bar and angle the comb correctly w/ the sun over your shoulder to see scale or vegetative AFB.

Otherwise, nice pix.

·
Registered
415 Posts
They look really good.
I've got three ready to join my twenty Langs and Long Hives. Can't wait for the March swarm season so I can put some Bees in them.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
749 Posts
I am with sqkcrk on this, I would have that comb torn off of the top bar the first day out.

I do think it looks really good though, I just want to take a big bite of that comb honey.

G3

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice pictures.

It's not too hard to manipulate the foundationless comb without breaking it, it just takes a different technique than most are used to.

The only time I broke comb in my 10+ HTBHs this year was when it was 95+ and I wasn't careful enough while removing it from the hive. Otherwise -- especially with brood comb -- it's easy to tilt, maneuver, spin and examine the comb as you're used to in a Langstroth.

Matt

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'll take your word for it. I've never done it. Maybe I need to find a TBH beekeeper near me and visit her/him and her/his hive. Are there any near Massena, NY?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had a few combs come off in the past, i just retie them up and the bees do the rest.

As for inspections, the comb in the pictures is very new 2 weeks and they had already pulled 9-10 top bars. I flip them over and can look at what ever I need to look at.

I also caught a wide hive from a nearby tree with of few of these bars and another TBH.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just remeber that they are easy to build with the basic wood working skills. I built mine for a total of about $10, everything else was just scrap wood laying around. The tools that you really need is Table saw, Drill, Brad nail gun.... Pretty much it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very nice pics.

I have the lumber in the garage. I'm just waiting for the cabin fever to set in before I start building a TBH. Hopefully that won't happen until about February/March or it'll be a long winter.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Very nice.

Did you get a harvest this past season?

My top bars are just like yours, popsicle sticks and not long. My girls built right off the bars without any cross comb. Many posts I see have bars that are near standard lang length. The lack of cross comb on mine has me thinking that shorter bars may discourage cross comb.

Your thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice.

Did you get a harvest this past season?

My top bars are just like yours, popsicle sticks and not long. My girls built right off the bars without any cross comb. Many posts I see have bars that are near standard lang length. The lack of cross comb on mine has me thinking that shorter bars may discourage cross comb.

Your thoughts or experience?
I didn't harvest from this one this year. I thought I would let them build it for themselves. I did how ever rob a little from them. I enjoy the comb and I think my daughter does too.

I would almost agree with you that the shorter bar seems to help with the cross comb.

My next I think that I am going to build a Warre' hive I like the way they look.

Shawn Hines

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great Pictures. I also would like to see more of the outside of you hive. Could you send me the plans? I like the lap side look of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts