Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just posted some pics to Picasa of my 2-week old hive. I saw larvae today, they can barely been seen in the lower right quadrant of this picture:. The question I have about this picture is what that cell full of red stuff is. I couldn't tell if it was pollen or what while I was looking at it. Are they vampire bees?

The second picture is here and shows some comb being drawn out strangely. Being new to the sport I thought it might have been a supercedure cell but it's actually comb and not a single cell. Any reason for this? Do my girls need to go back to comb drawing 101?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, Its pollen . They will generally place pollen close to the brood. and the comb is whats called burr comb . learn the term you'll be seeing it alot. By the looks of it it may be for drone brood.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Burr comb like that usually means you have violated bee space, be sure all your frames are pushed together leaving the larger spaces on the outside. Nice looking hive ya got there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I see where your question comes from, that one cell of dark red all by it self sure looks out of place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already seen a bit of burr comb just from the first two inspections. I use a hive-top feeder and they're connecting the brood frames to the feeder via burr comb. I just keep removing it.

Should I remove that burr comb on the frames?

Great advice about the bee space - I always thought the frames were supposed to be evenly spaced - hence the spacer tools I've seen advertised (I'm using all 10 frames in a medium box for brood).

Thanks again for the answers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
push all 10 tight together and then after they have drawn out all the foundation, you can remove 1 frame and run 9 evenly spaced frames. This helps from crushing the bees when you inspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts