Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just posted some pics to Picasa of my 2-week old hive. I saw larvae today, they can barely been seen in the lower right quadrant of this picture:. The question I have about this picture is what that cell full of red stuff is. I couldn't tell if it was pollen or what while I was looking at it. Are they vampire bees?

The second picture is here and shows some comb being drawn out strangely. Being new to the sport I thought it might have been a supercedure cell but it's actually comb and not a single cell. Any reason for this? Do my girls need to go back to comb drawing 101?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, Its pollen . They will generally place pollen close to the brood. and the comb is whats called burr comb . learn the term you'll be seeing it alot. By the looks of it it may be for drone brood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already seen a bit of burr comb just from the first two inspections. I use a hive-top feeder and they're connecting the brood frames to the feeder via burr comb. I just keep removing it.

Should I remove that burr comb on the frames?

Great advice about the bee space - I always thought the frames were supposed to be evenly spaced - hence the spacer tools I've seen advertised (I'm using all 10 frames in a medium box for brood).

Thanks again for the answers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
push all 10 tight together and then after they have drawn out all the foundation, you can remove 1 frame and run 9 evenly spaced frames. This helps from crushing the bees when you inspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.