Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we know you're proud of em! Let's see em!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you feed them outside of the hive? does that cause problems?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
George,

I lay 1" rope in my waterer trays to prevent drowning. I like your screen idea... think I'll try it.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
>so you feed them outside of the hive? does that cause problems?

Usually I only feed the hives that need it. I put the feeder on top of the inner cover with a hive body around it and a lid on top. I plug the hole in the inner cover with dead grass to keep robbers out. Occasionally I'll open feed. I have a half dozen of these chicken drinkers, 3 Mann Lake hive top feeders, a couple of home made Miller style hive top feeders, some kind of home made hive top feeder with floats, as well as a few dozen glass jars and cans with holy lids. I gave up on plastic jars, they leak too much. These chicken drinkers are the easiest to use.

Mike- rope.. Never though of that. The screen works great BTW, it's 1/4" mesh. Tedious to make though. After feeding a gallon there's rarely more than 1 or 2 drowned bees.

I've heard of people using pebbles.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
>bet they are a bugger to cut to fit.

Like I said, "tedious to make". Twarn't that bad really.. mark the circles with a magic marker, snip it out with wire cutters... press and trim to fit. That's the trick really to making the whole thing work... pressing the screen into the trough.

Still experimenting with feeders.

·
Registered
101 Posts
George, I did the same as you (chicken waterer) with the mesh then I went to plastic buckets that hold two gallons, the ones that are the same size at the top as they are at the bottom, cut 1/4 inch styrofoam to fit for a float and sloped the outer edge of the styro so the bees could rest on the edge with their butts pointing toward the center and faces toward the side of the bucket and downhill. They line up like pigs at a troff. I pick the buckets up at a local bakery. Pie filling comes in it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MBush-what prevents the syrup mixture from pouring out when you tip it into the hole?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kamerrill- obviously that is an inside the hive feeder. do the bees just go in from the top opening I see?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi blammer,

It is the same feeder as MP describes in his materials (link above). It is a division board feeder that divides a deep into two 4-frame nucs. The top filler holes are sealed down with a grain bag inner cover. The bees enter the two seperate chambers of the feeder from an oblong hole drilled in each side.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GaSteve-that one looks really good!

Gives me an idea!

I was thinking about building my own. I happen to have pleanty of lumber laying around and know how to use a hammer and brad nailer... :D

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>MBush-what prevents the syrup mixture from pouring out when you tip it into the hole?

The same thing that keeps water in a water cooler. A vacuum. A little will come out, but that gets them excited about the feeder.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts