Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considerig using pf120's for my honney supers. The price is about the same w/ shipping and has less contaminated wax than foundation.

What do you all think of them?

strenghs and weaknes'?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Ease of use is phenomenal, box to hive with no fuss

Cost is not insignificant when you include shipping

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
PF120's are a cheap plastic frame. They are a little on the flimsy side. Often, the top bar will be warped.

I want a sturdy frame if I am going to be extracting honey from it. I have several Pierco frames in my honey supers. Pierco frames seem sturdier to me than PF120's, and I have had Pierco frames full of honey and it felt awfully flimsy to me. I have even had a couple end tabs on Pierco frames break off when I was pulling a frame out. I have not tried using PF120's in honey supers, and I don't intend to try.

PF120's are 4.9mm cells. I see zero benefit to having small cell foundation in honey supers. When bees are allowed to draw cell sizes of their own choosing, for honey storage they draw large cells that are drone comb cell size (or larger).

I consider PF 120's to be brood comb frames. If used for that purpose, they seem to do a good job.

If you are worried about chemical contamination of wax, buy unwaxed Pierco frames, and 'paint' a layer of clean melted wax on the frame to get the bees to draw it out faster. (The waxed Pierco frames have very little wax, so I put a layer of wax on them for better acceptance. I've never tried the unwaxed Pierco frames.)

·
Registered
246 Posts
>It's been a while since I got the last load, but there were 3,000 frames in that load and it was at least four pallets, I think...

Thanks for the info. Well, I guess that's at least 25 cases per pallet. I should look around for some folks in this area to go in together on purchasing by the pallet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts