Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
By nature I don't sign any petitions as I find they're many times manipulative in their claims/agenda and useless in the big scheme of things. I think US folks (who by definition are foreigners in Canada) who've never even heard of Billy Bee signing a Canadian petition enhances the uselessness exponentially.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Wow, this is amazing. According to this petition you can call yourself a farmer and make a living in Canada running only 86 hives! Cost of living up there must be really cheap.

·
Super Moderator
11,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Boy, the picture on the petition page has beehives that look like the leaning tower of Pisa. How do those stay up?

We have the same issues here in the US. If you want local honey, contact your local beekeeper and buy direct!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By nature I don't sign any petitions as I find they're many times manipulative in their claims/agenda and useless in the big scheme of things. I think US folks (who by definition are foreigners in Canada) who've never even heard of Billy Bee signing a Canadian petition enhances the uselessness exponentially.
This is obviously a Canadian petition, for the Canadian beekeepers on this forum, that's a no brainer. However…
If the Trans Pacific Partnership is ratified, Ag producers in both our countries will be subjected to low cost imports from foreign countries, and have no choice about accepting them. AMOF, foreign producers can sue the government if they feel that there are any protectionist measures taken whatsoever. Beekeepers in both our countries are under enough financial pressure, and don't need to compete against low cost imports from abroad.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
well good for you guys.
if you don't speak up for yourselves, no one will do it for you.

similar issues exist here, lack of a honey definition and truth in labeling being at the forefront in my opinion, I'm interested to see how it plays out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Wow, this is amazing. According to this petition you can call yourself a farmer and make a living in Canada running only 86 hives! Cost of living up there must be really cheap.
According to the numbers provided, their hives produce an average of 125lbs per hive. Thats much larger than the US avg of 60lbs a hive. For a US based beekeeper to keep up we would need to more than double our hive count! I don't know what canadian bulk honey price is and how it correlates into US dollars, but taking the honey produced per those 86 hives at bulk wholesale cost in the US per the national honey board price chart, that equates to $55,900USD gross.

On a side note, I would not be entirely discouraged about the state of things. As awareness continues about bees and honey, consumers are going to vote with their money. Keep on educating others about honey and the truth and it will spread just as fast warm butter over toast!

While I have not entered that realm of bulk honey sales, I believe where I sit, even geographically, people value local products and purity. Despite demand being higher than supply, once those who realize what good honey is, they are not going to buy the fake or adulterated stuff just to try and fill a void. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I believe where I sit, even geographically, people value local products and purity. Despite demand being higher than supply, once those who realize what good honey is, they are not going to buy the fake or adulterated stuff just to try and fill a void. Just my $.02!
And how do you suppose anyone will be able to tell what is really in the jar?
Many are being hoodwinked already.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
That's the problem c, the export stats of honey out of Asian countries do not match up with best case production stats... Caugh ###syrup### caugh

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yes it is a problem. Our respective governments need to acknowledge the issue and then act.

If this TPP is adopted all bets are off and it's a whole new world for us bug farmers.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
TPP is a huge $$$ for our Canadian cattle sector. Selling honey into more international markets also provides advantage. That funny honey is making its way here regardless

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I think the possibility of a TPP in the future is influencing the industry already with few bids and lower honey prices.

TPP presents an opportunity to foreign syrup producers akin to turning lead into gold on the coat tail of a, by and large, respected honey industry in our countries.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...p=1365585&highlight=trans+pacific#post1365585

Don't want to derail the Billy Bee issue.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
And how do you suppose anyone will be able to tell what is really in the jar?
Many are being hoodwinked already.
Maybe we the beekeeper should be educating our customers on what is real and what isn't. If you can prove them that you don't carry adulterated Honey, you build trust with them. You can sway them away from thinking that the regular stuff for a fraction off the price on the shelf is just as good as yours.

I look at every label on products to know what I'm buying. I can usually determine if it's something I want. If in doubt I don't get it. In that instance I do advocate for govt intervention to set that standard.

While you May need to point the finger at one person because they say they carry from certain countries which is in question, you will also inevitably make yourself become subject to the same standard. While all of us here shouldn't need to worry about that, just be careful as it could backfire on you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Signing a petition does not have to recognize borders - most of the petitions that I sign don't. Perhaps it depends on whether or not your interests and values are defined by those borders, or they are part of "the big scheme of things"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts