Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive in the middle of my main apiary (18 hives) that has about a quart of bees dead on the bottom board, a half gallon of bees dead in front of the hive, dead brood ( no signs of brood diseases), and a few random bees flying around. Am I looking at my first pesticide kill of the year? Funny thing is they were acting normal last tuesday. I have had this happen last year, hoping it is not a bad chain of events.:lookout::cry:

Mike

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, thinking the neighboring hay fields, also they sprayed all the overhead wire right of ways recently. The yard is 100 yards from my house, I have a Pyrenees and a Anatolian LGD around the place, do not let many people close. Also, this hive has some nasty hives to the sides of it.
Any thoughts?

Mike

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Robbing? Was there wax particals on the bottom board and entrance? Is their honey all gone? Starvation?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I saw a hive with similar symptoms this year in a commercial operation. 20 hives in a yard, but one hive had probably 4 pounds of dead bees in front of it. None of the other hives were affected.

The commercial beekeeper said it looked like a pesticide kill, but that didn't make sense because it only affected the one hive. He didn't know what caused it.

That hive is starting to recover, but it got set back really hard with all the bee deaths.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts