Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
yes i read this too. I agree with the article to some degree. but we are doing alot of this to ourselves. we all need to get away from the stuff we use in the hive. Dont know how to get away from the pesticides that are used everyday around our bees. So many people out there just dont have a clue what they are using on their yards and crops and what it is doing to the bees.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with Ga beeman...we need to NOT use those strips whether they are cumophus of flavinuate. Also Bayer just agreed to sop producing temik another systemic insecticide. Several people have become sick after eating watermelon with high levels of temik. Temik is the insecticide that really damages bees in orange groves. Finally in 2012 no more Temik. Now I wonder what excuses the gentlemen from AUgerhole Mn will come up defending the neconitiods.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2014 will be the last year of the phaseout for Temik. I know how dangerous it is for most any animal or insect, but aldicarb has been a crop saving chemical over the years in cotton and peanuts in our area. I actually have mixed feelings about it being pulled.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i understand the point of the farmers wanting to use these at times. but we have went to using these as a common practice now and most of them dont even think about it when they use it now. Bee forage in Ga. has been so depleted because of the use of roundup. They just go around the edge of the field and spray everything. the goldenrod, aster,dogbane it is all getting to where you cant find enough in one location for the bees to really benefit from it. We need to do something different

1 - 5 of 5 Posts