Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do pesticides only hurt bees wile there being sprayed? Or are there residual effects after application?There’s a farmer who wants a hive for his pumpkin patch. He told me he sprayed like a month ago and would not be spraying anymore. He is going to get back to me on what he used.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
I think it depends on what pesticide he sprayed. I'm pretty sure that some pesticides will have some residual effect that linger. Some pesticides will kill the bees on the spot, others will not and the pesticide is taken to the hive, which is worse.

A month sounds like a reasonable time to assume it is safe, but without knowing what he sprayed it is difficult to know for sure.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok talked to the farmer. He sprayed 3 weeks ago. He uses pesticide's called Command and Duel. Did a little research and looks like both are Herbicides. If anyone has any experience with these let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Command and Duel are both pre emergents and will not hurt your bees. I spray them in the spring and have never seen any affect on the bees. They are soil applied so with him spraying 3 weeks ago you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts