Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This e-mail turned up in my inbox today, I deleted the names

Thought all would be interested.
Note: I am not ale or do not know how to put a hotlink for the link at the bottom, could someone share how to do.

Here it is.

I turned up this article early this morning, you've probably already seen it, but maybe not.
Keep up the pressure, I agree with you that pesticides are a major player in CCD. I think the connection between clothianidin treated corn seed and the break in the fall brood cycle could be huge, there are 88 million acres of corn. A 3rd generation commercial beekeeper here checked the brood this fall before the bees went to California and virtually all of his 2,000 colonies were broodless in late September and early October, just what I've been seeing.
We may now be facing another problem here in the west with clothianidin treated sugar beet seed. Sugar beets are part of a 3 crop rotation of corn, beets(with barley as a nurse crop), alfalfa, then back to corn. The question is whether there will be a soil buildup of clothianidin from the corn and beets sufficient to contaminate alfalfa nectar in damaging amounts. Alfalfa is a major nectar source in the west as I'm sure you know.
It isn't just the neonics, it's the whole attitude toward pesticide use and oversight. I learned this summer that sunflowers are being routinely sprayed for head moth when in full bloom, with pesticides that carry the Bee Caution. One of them, Warrior, is now encapsulated, and Chris Mullin's opinion is that it probably can remain lethal in the field for weeks.

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/local_story_016191459.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you get the "Catch the Buzz" Emails from Kim Flottum?

It's talking about the GM Alfalfa that Monsanto is trying to push.

:eek:t:Then they will probably come up with Suicide Alfalfa seeds and sue everyone who might have "stolen their patents". What a great idea, if you are looking to control the worlds food supply! And to think, the government is involved with them. There are things with Monsanto that is much worse then just the honeybee problems (which are bad enough)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
DDT 1960's, paraquat 1970's, malathion 1980's, cumophos 1990's, neonicotides 2010, the names change but the faces remain the same. As long as huge monoculture farming is the methodology this isn't going to change.

You, me, Dave and a 3rd generation beekeeper with anecdoatal ideas on what's going on changes little. Big money rules the world and at best all we can do is plan around the problem until someone with scientific credibility and clout draws the parallel OR we can turn public opinion against it. Of course we'll have to be able to outspend monsanto and ADM on TV. Not likely me thinks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The major concern I now see is that the new ones (Systemics & GM's) are inside the food we and our families are eating. The prior problemes hurt our bee industry and we worked thru them, this has affected the industry and the consumers of the food products grown in this new environment (Pesticides working from inside our food).

·
Registered
855 Posts
What is going on in your country? Clothianidin is similar to thiametoxam and imidacloprid, it is a neonicotinoid.

Your government should give you a guarantee that your bees survive when you feed sugar made from beets. I personally would stay away from this sugar for a few years and wait what happen.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thats officially impossible. But it probably wont matter, since we're feeding Corn syrup and Corn is definitely all GM. well... Alot of it is anyway. I've never seen commercialized corn seed without treatment either. I think it's all minor to let's drown the bees in miticides.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Back to Larry's point about the impact on the food we eat. This may be the crux that would give us leverage to stop or deter the use of some of these agents. I don't think the public will support objections based on our losses but potentially if we have clear evidence the agents are showing up on the kitchen table we could impact this without the $$$. Are those studies out there?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Google this - gm crops human consumption risks

254,000 hits to read through, most not good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts