Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Kills insects like it's supposed to, so yup, it works.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I bought some of that stuff as I was being nailed by deer ticks and the story was that you just spray it onto the legs of your bee clothes and it will kill ticks climbing up for weeks and weeks. Fortunately I read up on Permethrin and found that it is deadly to cats if they would rub themselves on your legs as cats do it could be fatal to them. As I have 2 cats picked up from the roads and fields as kittens I decided to give it a miss and just put up with the ticks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It works, but it only kills the SHB larvae when they go to pupate. They will have caused a lot of damage by that point. It will definitely keep the ants from making nests under your hives.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Permethryn is a synthetic pyrethroid, and is repellant to insects. So, ants and such can avoid it. A more sluggish beetle larva though would be less likely to avoid it. But for in ground applications you would be better to use an organophosphate, which last much longer when exposed to damp conditions and are not repellant to insects. i am not sure what is legal or illegal in the USA though.

I know this because to do some stuff i used to do i had to get a commercial pest control operators licence.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought some of that stuff as I was being nailed by deer ticks and the story was that you just spray it onto the legs of your bee clothes and it will kill ticks climbing up for weeks and weeks. Fortunately I read up on Permethrin and found that it is deadly to cats if they would rub themselves on your legs as cats do it could be fatal to them. As I have 2 cats picked up from the roads and fields as kittens I decided to give it a miss and just put up with the ticks.
For several years I've used Permethrin quite a bit around our place, most frequently around the foundation of two concrete slab buildings (our house and a shop). The spray goes up under the siding then drips down. Also use it sparingly on some plants, usually when moving in the house from outdoors. We have three [outdoor] cats. :/ I've never used it on clothing...

- djb

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I can chime in on the cats. I'm a hunter and a hunter ed instructor. We include a segment on Permethrin in our classes and I did quite a bit of research on the effectiveness of the product. For ticks...it is quite effective if used according to the directions. For example, the spray product is applied to the clothing and it lasts a few washes. Ticks (by pure observation) start to climb up the treated clothing...stop...and drop off. It's good stuff.

I also keep 4 feral cats and I foster and rehabilitate ferals that have otherwise given up on. The chemical CAN be deadly to cats but only in large quantities. The most typical concern is cats rubbing against your legs while you're wearing treated pants. It takes a TON of that to be lethal to a grown cat. That's not to say it's healthy but I've never had any of my cats sick after rubbing against my turkey hunting jeans.

We use it different here. To reduce the possibility of Lyme disease (carried by ticks that host in mice), we take toilet paper or paper towel tubes, stuff them with cotton or old socks that have been treated with Permethrin. The mice enter the tubes and collect the material to make nests and, in the process, kill the ticks that they carry. I can't say how effective it is but the state biologists support the efforts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We use it different here. To reduce the possibility of Lyme disease (carried by ticks that host in mice), we take toilet paper or paper towel tubes, stuff them with cotton or old socks that have been treated with Permethrin. The mice enter the tubes and collect the material to make nests and, in the process, kill the ticks that they carry. I can't say how effective it is but the state biologists support the efforts.[/QUOTE]

Surprised a state biologist would think that's a good idea. Bumblebees favorite nesting place is old mouse nests.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I was cutting timber, me and my foresters would treat our clothes and protective gear with Permethrin. We would get the 37% stuff online and mix it up ourselves. It has done wonders at keeping the ticks off. Now, I treat my crawlspace, foundation, thresholds, & windows with it 2x a year. I have not had a spider or bug in the house. It works good for the chicken coop as well.
I am mindful of spraying in areas with bees. If I am going to spray close to my hive, I am SURE to spray a dusk. This allows it all evening and night to dry. As for the cats, it is highly toxic to cats when wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts