Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people. I'm building my first nucs. Is there a reason for not permanently screwing the bottom to the nuc body?

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Can't really think of a reason for not doing it.

Just more convenient to have the bottom boards attached.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
My doubles I use Plumler tape. So if I want to pull a bottom I can.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have both styles on full-sized-frame nuc boxes. Would I fix bottoms on permanently again ? No. Without bottoms nuc boxes can be stacked in pairs over full-width brood boxes, or over each other - gives far more flexibility in use.

Having bottoms semi-permanently attached (some form of clip perhaps ?) would be handy though.
LJ

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
My nuc bottoms are home built, but are identical to the commercially available screened bottom boards made by the former Brushy Mountain. I attach them to the bottoms of standard five frame deep nuc boxes with four 2-1/2" drywall screws countersunk about an inch. I rarely find it necessary to remove the bottoms.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did one that way...and it wasn't the best choice, IMHO. While it was easier to move the NUC, it also meant that rearranging things had to be at the frame level rather than the box level. Not an issue if you're only doing 5 frames and offloading the colony, but if you're growing the NUC toward full size boxes, being able to rearrange boxes in addition to just frames is more convenient. A compromise might be fastening a bottom board to a NUC box with a method that still allows removing it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good and valid points people, thank you.

I will screw them, but not glue them. If I need to take them off for whatever reason it would be very easy.

I'm glad I asked the question.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Very good and valid points people, thank you.

I will screw them, but not glue them. If I need to take them off for whatever reason it would be very easy.

I'm glad I asked the question.
Yep, that is a good plan. I screw mine on for convenience, but sometimes want to add a box, so I need to be able to separate them easily.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The design I use incorporates two pallet clips on the bottom board that the nuc box fits into. I also put a screw about 1/2" into the nuc box front and back a few inches up from the bottom and into the front and back of the bottom. Then I connect the screws with a piece of thin wire. Between the pallet clips and the wires the bottoms will not fall off if the boxes are moved, but the bottoms are easily removed for spring cleaning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi mate, all my nuc boxes have permanent bases and LJ makes a valid point as I’ve thought it would be handy to add a box on top to feed when building the colony.
Also, technically a nuc is describing the colony not the hive. :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just use 300# load limit ratchet straps and strap everything together. Doesn't get any more easier than that. Your two hours away at an out yard and the battery goes dead on the drill....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
9/16" leg T50 staples spanning the seam , easy to pop off with a hive tool when you want to remove the bottom

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
When my nucs get to big for the nuc box, they go into a single decker hive.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have both styles on full-sized-frame nuc boxes. Would I fix bottoms on permanently again ? No. Without bottoms nuc boxes can be stacked in pairs over full-width brood boxes, or over each other - gives far more flexibility in use.

Having bottoms semi-permanently attached (some form of clip perhaps ?) would be handy though.
LJ
mine have spent as much time or more stacked than single so I would want the bottom to be attached by no more than a couple of screws. At present none have the bases attached.

If you were using them almost strictly as mating nucs I can see a permanent attached or built in bottom and entrance.

·
Registered
613 Posts
When my nucs get to big for the nuc box, they go into a single decker hive.
Same here, in the spring or early summer. If I want to overwinter it and cannot reasonably build it up, I prefer 5 over 5 arrangement rather than a single deep.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi mate, all my nuc boxes have permanent bases and LJ makes a valid point as I’ve thought it would be handy to add a box on top to feed when building the colony.
Also, technically a nuc is describing the colony not the hive. :p
Skeggley!!

(hey mate as you can see I'm flirting forums, and I'm liking this one the most so far!!)

So what do you call a hive you put a nuc in? Nuc box? Nuc hive? Both Guilfoyle and Beewise call their empty boxes 'nucs' too for short.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah mate, a shed load of knowledge here, and we can’t have all our eggs in one basket eh.:D
The first book I read when looking into keeping bees stated that learning the correct terming goes a long way. It may be, to use your word, superfluous, however I can see merit in it.
Yes, the big birds in business here aren’t sticklers for correct terming but I don’t see them as overly professional either. For example when trying to source a slatted rack the ladies in Guilfoyles hadn’t even heard of a slatted rack (They asked me what a salted rat had to do with beekeeping when I asked.) and Jack Beewise scolded me saying we didn’t need them as we don’t have varroa. :eye roll:
A nuc box is just a small hive to which nucleus colony’s are added. A hive is just a box. ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Totally. One thing that gets me is SBB. What's that? Solid Bottom Board or Screened Bottom Board? Hey if I misname something please do point it out to me, I like pedantic people. :p Correct terminology is not superfluous at all.

I made my own salted rats :) because I had similar reception. Only found them through Bob's Beekeeping and postage was more expensive than the rats. Someone else (not Jack, forgot who) also confused them with screened base boards.

I sent you a message, on BM, regarding the nuc boxes I got from Guilfoyles. They are actually very well made, and made them 5-f just for me. I know you had issues with the ones at Beewise.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I permanently attach the bottoms. Here is why. A bottom board isn't good for anything without a nuc body. So whether the bottom is attached or not attached, a bottom board is always going to be paired with a nuc body. So I re-thought the bottom. My nuc bottom board became a bottom board with 10" high sides and a frame rest. The floor is built in and permanently attached. It eliminates one unit, and my bottom board just happens to hold 5 frames. So you may ask, "Jay, what about stacking them?" Well, if I need to stack up a 5x5 then I'll stack a nuc body with out a bottom on top.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts