Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
UN, I still did not see what vaporizer you were using when you burned brood? Anyone else seen this, johno, Larry? What did the brood look like and how do you know it was due to oxalic? I do not doubt you saw what you saw but I am skeptical of your interpretation because I have not heard it before. So I really would like more info....
I do not see how a higher volume would affect them more than a lower volume. The strength of the OA is still the same. If I dip my finger in a cup of acid I will get a burn. If I jump into a swimming pool of acid I will get a burn. The OA dose is supposed to go everywhere in the hive. It's the swimming pool version. If I jump into a bigger swimming pool with more acid (of the same concentration of course) I will still get burned but not any worse than the smaller swimming pool. It seems to me that with oxalic acid the mite gets burned and the bee does not. More of something that doesn't burn them I think still won't burn them....

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
The damage to the brood I saw was right at the location where I inserted the OA (between boxes). As indicated - I gave them huge doses (a live experiment to see if it'd help with residual mite drop - it didn't) - when I lowered the dose, brood had no obvious effects (e.g., I checked a frame a bit later it had nearly 100% "solidity") - I also stopped injecting between the boxes like that.

The brood turned clear, and straightened out in the cell - it was perhaps 2 or 3 days old? No off colors - looked like chilled brood.

I've done some experiments with OA entering uncapped cells - but based on the results of my earlier experiment and the feedback, I'm reluctant to share my findings.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I did mine yesterday. I did not get perfect control balancing the pan going in thru the slot over the frames and spilled a little of the crystals on top of a frame on the last hive. I forgot to clean it up before putting the super back on and closing up for the night. I'll need to return their extract frames later today. I'm guessing I should pull the super and attempt to remove the spilled crystals, probably less than half a gram.

Other than that it went well. I think I need to paint my boxes some morning before the bees get up. I changed one bottom board, it was rough. I sealed off, treated, then changed the board to a new screened with a mite drop board. Checked this morning quick and saw a few mites.
Wood Vegetation Plant Sunlight Trunk
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Natural material Hardwood

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Dr Ramesh Sagili, Oregon State University, presented Oxalic Acid Vapor research at the Oregon State Beekeepers Association, fall conference this year. The presentation represented two years of research.
Brood damage from elevated doses of OAV at all levels was statistically insignificant compared to control hives.
I suspect that damaged brood observed following a treatment MAY be related to other issues in the hive.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts