Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tell me this thes men that make there liven with bees like saleing honey. do thay requeen ever year? do thay raze there own queens . i have 11 hives and this spring i requeened all of them .haft did good the other half poor .if i depended on these queen i would be in bad shape . how do these men get there queens or do thay just take a chance ever year any buy new queens or what? thank yall much

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Why did you requeen? I don't requeen. I have about 600 colonies at this time. In the spring I make splits from strong colonies and buy queens to put in them. Or queen cells. Those splits go into the dead hives. The leftovers are for selling and for replacing colonies that loose a queen during appe pollination or in transit.

The guys I know don't go into hives, find the queen, pinch her head and install a new queen. Unless she is a failing queen, that's the exception. These guys that I refer to are larger operations than mine, 1,000 to 3,000 colonies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then i did it wrong i was trying to get more spring honey i thought if i requeened the hive it would stop swarming and get more spring honey .that is our big flow here in va.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've read (not from direct experience) that fall requeening may be better for what you want. Fall requeening is supposed to give a strong buildup in the spring and less chance of a swarm since she's new. Just food for thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts