Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for information, Peavey Mart in Medicine Hat has some bee supplies in. The prices are reasonable once you figure in what you would pay for freight if you bought it from Bee Maid. It's only basic stuff but at least we can drop in and pick stuff up. I bought 2 boardman feeders complete with jar for 6.99 each and a box of 5 fully assembled frames with wax coated plastic foundation for 22.99, and a plastic queen excluder for 6.99. The frames seem decent although I think my home made ones are a bit stronger. They also have veils, coveralls, smokers and fuel, frame grippers, hive tools medium frames, hive boxes and a complete hive for 129.99(bottom board, 1 deep, inner and outer cover). For the price of their hives I'll keep building my own.
Colino

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Good grief that sounds pricey to me! Are the Canadian and U.S. dollar still at par? Or are you way up north where freight is a killer? Can you find a friendly commercial beek who would sell you that stuff at I would bet a substantial savings.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good grief that sounds pricey to me! Are the Canadian and U.S. dollar still at par? Or are you way up north where freight is a killer? Can you find a friendly commercial beek who would sell you that stuff at I would bet a substantial savings.
Our dollar now is down about 10 cents. I'm in southern Alberta, the nearest supplier I found is 5 hours away. Believe it or not those prices are not too bad because the shipping here costs about another 75% of what you order. Besides that it's so handy to be able to buy supplies 20 minutes away. I can buy supplies from my bee supplier but there is not much difference and they are a hour and a half away. You have to remember too that Peavey Mart is an agricultural store and handles many things related to farming. So you won't get as good a price or selection as suppliers solely dedicated to bees.
Colino

1 - 3 of 3 Posts